Deleting the Fan - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Infidel

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Deleting the Fan

Howdy All,
Just a little clarification here. I have read where some people are taking their fans off and running without a fan (even an electric one) with no jumps in engine temps. The two things they can't do is A) Run their AC while sitting and B) Are not towing anything.
Since I am a couple of paychecks away from my electric fan setup and I have a 1000+ mile round trip vacation coming up I could use the estimated 2-3mpg that it supposedly gives me, I was thinking of taking the fan off but keeping it in my tool box for my trip.
Thanks,
Craig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2006, 08:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well as long as you've got the tools to put it back on I would say go for it. This actually might be a situation where a coolant additive such as water wetter, royal purple or motorcraft additive would be effective. It would be a good experiment...would suck however if you had to stop in heavy traffic to re-install your fan!
Old 06-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Power Strokeaholic

i know people do this all the time, i've read about it too. but i would be very cautious about it. especialy if your going to be in town alot. no air over the radiator isnt a good thing. i would at the very least run a small electric fan. that fan also cools the tranny cooler too. some things to consider.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Banned

I would be very cautios if you try this without having the electric first. it wouldnt take long at slow speads to cause an overheat.......so really watch things if you end up in any in town driving.....
Old 06-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do you really get that kind of MPG Gain. With these fuel prices it would be worth getting a elecric fan. Does anyone sell a fan Kit?
Old 06-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Power Strokeaholic

the only ones i've seen that are application specific is this one. dont know a price
Old 06-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Infidel

LMC has one for about 150.00 www.LMCtruck.com look in their Ford section. Order a free catalog while you are at, it has tons of hard to find pieces that wear out.
Craig
Old 06-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

That flexlite fan retails for 785.33 I currently dont have any in stock. I could knock about 150 off of it. Im sure there is a better way to accomplish this. I will do some research in the next few days.

I also own a trucking company and alot of big trucks come with a fan switch. So if you did add the fan you could turn it off and on as needed. In a big truck you can turn it on thermostatic control, constant on, or off. Im no electrician, but Im sure you could accomplish this somehow.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscountPowerParts
That flexlite fan retails for 785.33 I currently dont have any in stock. I could knock about 150 off of it. Im sure there is a better way to accomplish this. I will do some research in the next few days.

I also own a trucking company and alot of big trucks come with a fan switch. So if you did add the fan you could turn it off and on as needed. In a big truck you can turn it on thermostatic control, constant on, or off. Im no electrician, but Im sure you could accomplish this somehow.
the wiring for that would be pretty easy Patrick.....you would have multiple switches that all could complete the same ground. i would not reccomend having a manual controll without a sender override.

as an example...a manual switch would be awsome if you knew you were gonna pull a good hill, you could turn it on even before you needed it.....

BUT the override by the switch would turn it on if you forgot or didnt realize you needed it....normal operation type stuff....

I would be more than willing to let people know on an individual basis how do wire it so it is controlled by you and has the failsafe of the temp switch.....
Old 07-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Power Strokeaholic

hey dpp, jegs has that flex-a-lite fan kit for 499. linky. no picture but it's the same part # in the recent jegs cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.