are these trucks good offroad? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
are these trucks good offroad?

im asking pretty much exactly what the title is. Are these trucks good in the mud and dirt? I used to offroad alot in my old ranger but that thing was built for it. i know theyre pretty heavy trucks but yeah just been wondering i have a limited slip in the rear and i think an open in the front. dont really know but just wondering? any pics of sick OBS Fords offroading?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
ive never been stuck but i also never been to serious about off road, it will do the job, but sink like a brick compared to your ranger lol
Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

These things are heavy, so it all depends on the conditions. If things are soft and soupy you've got to make sure to keep the speed and revs up (think 2k). A good set of tires goes a long way. I've gotten my EX LB 4X4 into some pretty tight situations, but limitted slip diffs and 35" KM2's have always pulled through. Even managed to sink it up to the axles in a corn field while duck hunting a month ago. Funny how ground that looks solid at 5 am looks different a noon. With some effort she managed to pull herself out.
One thing I will say is, before doing any serious 4x4 crawling, make sure to install a trans cooler with a fan. These E40D (assuming you have an automatic) run hot, and high revving, high load, low speed 4x4'ing is a recipe for dissaster with them.
Just keep in mind it's not a mid-80's 4runner. These trucks are capable without a doubt, but heavy...not to mention expensive to fix.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
ive never been stuck but i also never been to serious about off road, it will do the job, but sink like a brick compared to your ranger lol
Judging by the look of your 'mad baller' trucks in your sig, I'm going to wager you've not been more than 20ft off of the nearest mall.

I've taken my truck hunting, duck hunting, recovering friends offroad etc, and I'll say this. With a little bit of weight in the back, these trucks will do fairly well with good tires. I had some really messed up 33" cooper stt's on my truck and they did pretty decent, especially with weight. This year I was going thru about a foot of snow with my new 35" fierce attitude mt's and that limited slip would kick in and I'd literally go thru anything in 2wheel.

One thing you hvae to worry about is soupie stuff; our trucks WILL sink in soup. In those situations, you need to carry in speed and keep rpm's up. These trucks are going to dig to the bottom of the soup to reach the hard-pack, so the more lift/tire you have, the better you will do. And whatever you do; DONT STOP.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:57 AM
Can you hear the derail??

yes my f150 is a mall crawler, i dont hunt, i dont go through the woods often, hell i live by the beach in southern california, but i have been alot farther than 20 ft off the beaten path.

you dont know me, so you look like a jack *** when you talk
Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 AM

i use my truck for hunting as well, and just make sure ya don't stop, i haven't been stuck yet (knock on wood) but lock those hubs, and walk the wheel if needed. Being so damn heavy these trucks will sink. As far as say blasting through the desert, I wouldn't advise it because well face it, these things sure as hell aren't a pre runner. but everywhere i've needed to go so far, this old truck has got me there.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:06 AM

I use my truck off-road quite often sometimes in the forest getting firewood, running in the sand at the lake, and a few other places but I sure don't try to take it in some of the places that I take my Jeep or my sons Scout
Attached Thumbnails
are these trucks good offroad?-jacks-jeep.jpg   are these trucks good offroad?-scout.jpg  
Old 01-12-2012, 11:22 AM

I go wheeling quite a bit. the locker in the rear changed this truck from meh....to VERY good offroad.

with good driving, when my front axle was still open.....I went everywhere and more then my buddies with cherokees lifted on lockers and 33" muds.

I have been stuck in mud 4-5 times BAAAD. worst was water in the cab up the pedals

everytime...... the front end goes in and doesnt come back out. so becareful where you stick your nose, and bring a long stick to feel out mudhole to see if theres a solid bottom. do your leg work on the trails, dont be stupid, bring a strap.....and these trucks can be a lot of fun!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Exactly what i was thinking.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:

That, and the fact the he quoted my previous post almost verbatim. You can tell he's a few bricks short of a load.

x2 on what Nitro said. With over 1000lbs of engine over the front wheels, they tend to sink like a stone. Extra weight over the back wheels seems to help a lot. 5 x 100lb bags of traction sand go a long way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.