Newbie Mileage Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie Mileage Question

Looking at a 96 quad cab dually. If I buy it I will be driving it long distance to get it home. The owner say's the fuel guage doesn't work so I was wondering what would be a safe distance between fuel stops. Thanks for the help and if I buy it i'm sure there will be many questions to follow.
- Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would think about 250 miles on each tank should be safe.Front tank holds approximately 18 gallons , when I fill this tank it always takes about 13 to 14 gallons and I know I will never run it dry.Rear tanks holds a bit more but there are pita to fill ,maybe the dually isn't as bad .
My first PSD was a 96 CCSW 2wd and it would get around 20 mph or more on the highway,current truck around 16 to 17 mph .
Old 01-11-2012, 05:26 PM

Best ever was 515 miles on two tanks, and it took like 30 gallons to fill it back up.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
you should have a minimum of 400 miles, 200/200 if its bone stock 4.10's and clogged fuel filter and fpr screen, good luck with the purchase, and make sure both tanks work as well
Old 01-12-2012, 03:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Did get the truck, but now the wife has to drive it home without me, so I want to get the fuel thing REAL clear for her. It has 3 tanks, so is that one main front tank and two "saddle" tanks? How do you select the tank being drawn from? Without a working fuel guage, I'd like to give her a conservative distance on each tank before refilling.
Thanks again - Bill
Old 01-12-2012, 08:01 AM

how far is she going? conservative just say 175 per tank you wont have to completely fill when home, how does it have 3 tanks? these obs rigs have 1 saddle, and 1 rear, is there another in the bed?
Old 01-12-2012, 08:53 AM

Whenever I get a new vehicle including my PSDs I always run it dry just to see exactly where it stops. Even though a tank says it holds x amount some times a sending unit could have a slight problem. One truck has a rear tank that I can only ever get 14 gallons out of even though it's an 18 gallon tank before it starts sucking air. My front run dry and filled back to the brim is 22 gallons
Old 01-12-2012, 08:55 AM

and also, wlecome to the org
Old 01-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
how far is she going? conservative just say 175 per tank you wont have to completely fill when home, how does it have 3 tanks? these obs rigs have 1 saddle, and 1 rear, is there another in the bed?
I'm not sure. The truck belonged to the lady's deceased husband, so she may not know for sure. It just said 3 tanks in the ad. So if it's 2 tanks, you just run off the main first and switch to the saddle, correct? She'll be driving a little over 1k miles, so she will be stopping. I just don't want her to run out on the side of the road. I'll just tell her to keep it at 175 per tank. Thanks again for the help and I look forward to getting her home (wife and truck).
- Bill
Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 AM

actually, best bet since there is 2 tanks, just have her drive on both for a few miles make sure the tanks work, and then once she fills up, run the first tank out dry, then switch to the second tank, it should go between 50-100 miles less, (the rear tank is usually smaller) so just run it out and that should tell you exactly how far you can go on it, good luck and welcome to the org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.