Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

POSITRAC REAR END ?

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  hern 
#1 ·
my 1997 cclwb 4x4 spins a rear wheel when the road is wet or muddy which leads me to believe that I've got no positrac. Is the best approach swapping the entire rear end or fixing the original unit? Any idea of costs for these 2 options? BTW it is very embarasing to be on an uphill paved street during a hard rain and have to stop, get out and lock hubs to be able to get up the hill. This truck gives the impression of being able to climb trees but it spins out on one wheel with ease. any input is MAVW (most appreciated and very welcomed):dunno:

#2 ·
Put some better tires on it.

#3 ·
Find a ls carrier out of a 87-2011 truck and swap it in and reshim it

#5 ·
How much air in em? Those suck on wet anything.

#6 ·
I have tried running them between 45 to 65 lbs and its the same regardless of pressure. my thought was that at a lower psi more traction but this doesn't seem to be true. at lower psi tires seem to wear out more on the edges. I did notice that the rear end has red silicone showing which makes me think that it was worked on before I got it.

#9 ·
LS limited slip. Goto a pick and pull yard and find a truck w 4.10 gears and pull the carrier and the shims that went with it

#10 ·
go buy an aftermarket limited slip unit the stock unit is not worth messing with

#11 ·
But for $100 for a factory used or $600 for a new one

#12 ·
factory ones a crap, i would look into a aftermarket LS unit or a yukon locker. you can get a locker and master install kit(shims, bearings races, crush sleeve everything) for 800bucks. the yukon locker is awesome thats what i have in my truck. the new lockers are not as annoying as the old unit when you go to make a turn. I got tired of going up in smoke when some ricer with a fart tube thinks he can beat me. lol

#15 ·
THANKS FOR THE INFO! I SAW MY USED TRUCK PARTS DEALER YESTERDAY AND HE CAN FIX ME UP WITH THE LIMMETED SLIP DIFF/CARRIER FOR $225 PLUS INSTALATION ($100 MAX). HE SAYS THAT HE HAS RECENTLY SOLD/INSTALLED THESE UNITS ON LOCAL TRUCKS THAT ARE HAULING 5+ TON LOADS WITH OUT PROBLEMS. AS ONE OF YOU NOTED EARLIER," THE ORIGINAL PARTS ARE NOT WORTH THE EFFORT". KEEP IN MIND THAT I AM NOT PULLING MONSTER LOADS AND WOULD LIKE TO NOT BE EMBARESSED WHEN THE RAINY SEASON COMES AND I CAN'T GET UP THE HILL WITHOUT 4WD. AS ALWAYS, YOUR INPUT IS USUALLY RIGHT ON AND I THANK YOU ALL!!!

#16 ·
IN MY PREVIOUS POST I SAID "HAULING 5 TON LOADS" BUT PLEASE REALIZE THAT THEY ARE NOT HAULING (WITH A TRAILER) BUT LOADING THEIR CARGO IN THE BED OF THE TRUCK. THESE ARE USUALLY MEXICAN BUILT DUELIES THAT ARE RATED AT 4 TO 5 TONS.

#17 ·
so whats the question? if you want a full locker look to randy's ring and pinion, and other reliable new full locker axles or lockers for your axle, if you want to go the reasobly priced route just get a factory limited slip equipped axle, very easy to swap out rears

#18 ·
thanks 351 fifty, YES, I think I will go the stock swap after I shop route to fix my problemo. If I am not in a rush is it likely to find after market bolt ons (chips, intercoolers, injectores, etc.) for my truck? where would one look for these and how do u know if they are legit?

#19 ·
contact paul at complete performance, he sells all of that and i order from him, very legit, i know lots of people who buy from him, and i know a guy who just drops his truck off with him and gets it all installed, most intercoolers are gonna be diy but there are a few people making kits as well, just costly, while your at it and getting that lsd rear, look up a full locker for your self as well

#20 ·
Just talked to a buddy of mine who owns a 4 wheel drive shop about this. (Over Mexican food and adult beverages) I am wanting all 4 wheels pulling when I'm in 4 wheel drive. He said that a Detroit posi trac had a jerk to it when you first hit a corner along with a click. He made several suggestions, to many to post just depends on what you want. Cost was about 500 for a rear end and another 500 to install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.