Trans Cooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trans Cooler

I'm looking for a good but low priced trans cooler to replace the crappy little thing that's in there stock. I know summit has some pretty cheap, any particularly good size/brand? I wanna go cheap-ish, whenever my e40d goes i'm putting in a zf5, so no reason to dump money into it.
EDIT: Where the heck is the temp gauge sender?! I replaced the actual engine sender, but I can't find the gauge sender for the life of me! Am I a major DA, or is it that difficult to find?

Last edited by truckyard1; 01-06-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

I've seen people go two routes.

1) they buy an additional cooler to run in line with the other one.
2) they buy a cooler with a fan attached so they're assured decent air flow.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:53 AM

I was thinking about the fan route, but thats a bit more money then I wanna spend on this
Old 01-06-2012, 11:54 AM

Coolant temperature sensor or Engine Oil temperature? EOT is down by the High Pressure Oil Pump. Coolant sensor and switch are both on the front of the engine. One has wiring that comes out of the same loom as the Cam Position sensor and the other is on the pump I think (I can't remember which is the switch (for overtemp idiot light) and the other is for the gauge. Cheers!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
Coolant temperature sensor or Engine Oil temperature? EOT is down by the High Pressure Oil Pump. Coolant sensor and switch are both on the front of the engine. One has wiring that comes out of the same loom as the Cam Position sensor and the other is on the pump I think (I can't remember which is the switch (for overtemp idiot light) and the other is for the gauge. Cheers!
Thanks! the one on the pump is the switch, I gotta go find the other 1.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:46 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
B&M 70274 - B&M SuperCooler Oil Coolers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I'm putting that on my truck. Should cool about the same as the smaller tru-cool that guys run in the bumper. If i ever run into heat problems i'll ditch it for a bigger one or mount a fan on it, but this one should be fine.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:42 PM

I have a bypassed rad setup and have a derale 13700 cooler with a 10" 650cfm fan. I want to ensure slow speed low airflow situations aren't going to cause me to overheat. I had it all mounted up but my first cooler was factory defective. Jegs was good about shipping me a replacement fast and reimbursed shipping. I'm mounting mine behind the bumper where the air gaps are. I'll take some pictures Sunday when I get A chance to install it.

I had a smaller cooler before that worked ok but of
I was romping around a lot or crawling in 4x4 I would see temps creeping on 200* which I didn't like.

My setup is 155 @ jegs and comes free with the fan thermostat. I don't see why you wouldn't keep your cooling solution with the zf5? My thermostat will kick my fan on at 180 now and hopefully ensure I never see dangerous temps. It's a 16 pass tube and fin cooler. Really nice looking unit designed to be remote mounted.

Edit** this is the cooler, but the free thermostat promotion has ended. http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/13700/10002/-1

Last edited by Slimline; 01-06-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 01-06-2012, 06:48 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimline View Post
I have a bypassed rad setup and have a derale 13700 cooler with a 10" 650cfm fan. I want to ensure slow speed low airflow situations aren't going to cause me to overheat. I had it all mounted up but my first cooler was factory defective. Jegs was good about shipping me a replacement fast and reimbursed shipping. I'm mounting mine behind the bumper where the air gaps are. I'll take some pictures Sunday when I get A chance to install it.

I had a smaller cooler before that worked ok but of
I was romping around a lot or crawling in 4x4 I would see temps creeping on 200* which I didn't like.

My setup is 155 @ jegs and comes free with the fan thermostat. I don't see why you wouldn't keep your cooling solution with the zf5? My thermostat will kick my fan on at 180 now and hopefully ensure I never see dangerous temps. It's a 16 pass tube and fin cooler. Really nice looking unit designed to be remote mounted.

Edit** this is the cooler, but the free thermostat promotion has ended. Derale 13700 Derale Electra-Cool Remote Oil/Trans Cooler
Not a bad looking cooler.

And you can't use it on a ZF5 cause they don't have a pump, so there's no way to move fluid through a cooler.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3020 View Post
Not a bad looking cooler.

And you can't use it on a ZF5 cause they don't have a pump, so there's no way to move fluid through a cooler.
Interesting. That I did not know. You could hook it up as an in line aux oil cooler though!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:42 AM

I looked into putting a cooler on my ZF 5-speed years ago after putting in a new tranny(they do get hot, I had a temp gauge on mine ... up to about 250F pulling a load on a nice grade). It is not a cheap endeavor! You will need modified (or billet) PTO covers, a pump (Weldon, Tilton, Mocal ... not cheap), good Stacked Plate cooler, temperature switch for pump, all the lines and fittings (also not cheap for decent stuff). I sold the truck after we got the 97. I run the Tru Cool Max (4739) behind the bumper on the 97 (also plumbed into the radiator cooler) with a Dieselsite external transmission filter setup. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.