Upgrade an XL to an XLT? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgrade an XL to an XLT?

Hey guys,

I'm new here, and basically I'm on the hunt for a new to me 95-97 powerstroke. Trying to find a 4x4, auto, ext cab, rust free, lower mileage and would prefer the options of an XLT model too. Well needless to say, my lucks not been great. It's either everything, but a NE rust bucket, great shape, but a MT or 2wd, or has more miles than all my past vehicles combined. Well I've found a few trucks recently that meet my intrests, especially one, older adult maintained since new with full records, only 112k, auto, 4x4, even including an almost brand new fisher II plow for $7k obo BUT it's an XL. For the value, I would suck it up and deal with it, but I was wondering, what's involved in upgrading and XL to an XLT? I would want the power windows, the 40/20/40 bench seat with big armrest and the other accommodations (except cruise, no big deal). Is this a hard job to upgrade too?

And on a side note, this will be my first powerstroke, I'm experienced with the 7.3 idi and look forward to the major upgrade. However when buying and looking these trucks over, what do I need to be watching out for and what are problem areas with these models? Upon my purchase, the truck will get a huge full tune up with everything so I can start my own new record log, but I'd love a good warning on things to beware of!

Thanks for the help guys, looking forward to adding pics of my own OBS soon!

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

generally if the truck looks like it is in awesome condition, it probably runs like it too with these older fords. a blowby test is good, but if there are any real issues with the truck or if its a piece of crap youll know right off the bat. that said there are others here who will be able to help you out a lot more. and if youre looking to upgrade the interior, why not turn it into a little project and make yourself a lariet. leather seats and whatnaught... hope this helps and
Old 01-01-2012, 11:37 PM

i would assume that upgrade aside from the seats would present a pretty big challenge. No idea what kind of wiring harness you'd have to search for or make up to get everything to work. does this truck have A/c? thats a big one. What are you considering high miles?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Red- thanks for the welcome, this place seems like a wealthy of knowledge and awesome rigs to research while I hunt. And that's actually a great idea, just swap in like a nice 40/20/40 lariat leather seats from a newer super duty and ride in style. Gotta spend the money to swap anyways, for a few bucks more do it right.

Elro- I didn't even think to check if it had a/c, I didn't realize newer XL models wouldn't have it, and that would be very important and a deal breaker. If it has a/c then I would really just want to upgrade to power windows. What I'm wondering is if XL trucks have the wiring/plugs in place like some vehicles, and to upgrade, I would just need the window motors and hardware and the plug. If it would be too expensive/too much work, I would probably just say forget it an have a really strong left arm instead.

I'm trying to disqualify high mileage trucks right now, since there's a few quite nice trucks in my area for sale that fit my needs and have pretty low mileage, at least less than 200k, which for a diesel is really low to me. Most important is signs or proof of good maintenance history. I'm a big fan of preventative maintenance and keeping my vehicles looking and running like new, so I'll mostly be looking for the right seller, not someone that's beaten the crap out of it during high school, not ones that's towed a 30k lb fifth wheel it's whole life for 250k miles with no trans work limping around, and nothing rusty and rotting to its core. When I finally buy, I want this truck to last forever basically.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:45 AM

if youre willing to travel... there are a lot of really nice rigs in the texas area on craigslist. no rust down there
Old 01-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I've got some family down there too so if would make flying down and getting a ride easier for me too. A big problem with southern trucks though is so many with 2wd. In ct it has got to be 4wd or you're crazy if you want to be plowing and it be a daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.