Need some opinions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some opinions

Howdy, new here, not new to forums or to powerstrokes. I am fairly new to OBS powerstrokes, but not OBS fords. I have had IDI 7.3s, as well as 7.3 powerstrokes (99-03).

Tomorrow I am going to buy a 95 F350. Single cab 4x4. Automatic. 250k miles. Rebuilt tranny 5k miles prior. Looks to be in pretty good shape from the pics. Its 250 miles away, so I have yet to see it . Said it runs and drives BUT the turbo is out. He has another one sitting in the truck just no time to put it on. All a/c heat etc works. Its XLT with all power, leather seat and rubber floor.

He also said that the other day it started having transfer case problems. As in its kicking in and out of four wheel drive on its own. It has a manual t-case. I have never seen a t-case do that, but whatever.

This truck also comes with a flatbed...in addition to the factory bed. It has aftermarket wheels and 33" all terrrains. Has ranchhand bumper on rear and full replacement on front.

This truck ALSO comes with another truck. A 96 Ford Ranger. Head cracked. New head is being installed as we speak. So both trucks one deal.

Both trucks.... 2500$. I have a deposit down all ready but I still wont say where it is. LOL Deal snipers out there.

My question is.... whats this all worth. And 2, whats a used t-case run for this? I can do all the repairs myself, just curious as to the cost of a t-case and the value of this whole package. I really wanted a manual version of this truck but the deal was too good to pass.

Thoughts, opinions?

Thanks,

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Unpremium Member

Those trucks have the BW1356 transfer cases. Rebuilt units after core exchange are only about $600 if you don't want to rebuild it on your own. The auto hubs might be the problem too. Also solvable.

IMHO, a nice score for $2500 if you like to wrench. Have fun.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe View Post
Those trucks have the BW1356 transfer cases. Rebuilt units after core exchange are only about $600 if you don't want to rebuild it on your own. The auto hubs might be the problem too. Also solvable.

IMHO, a nice score for $2500 if you like to wrench. Have fun.

Yea, well I plan to just sell the ranger and make back 1000-2000$ of my money depending on its condition. And 600$ isn't bad. I have rebuilt np205s and 203s, but never messed with that chain driven BW stuff...I would probably just swap in another, but I too was thinking it may be an issue with those auto locking hubs. May get lucky and just have to do a minor few repairs

D
Old 12-31-2011, 10:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

damn thats a steal. good find! and
Old 01-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red '97 View Post
damn thats a steal. good find! and
Ok, well outside is pretty beat up. Needs a passenger side door, and really a bed. I can make due with the bed. They were lifting out the welder and it snagged on the bed side...

Interior pretty hammered. But not unfixable. Needs the bezel around the cluster. I will replace the rubber with carpet, and put a cloth seat in the replace the leather (actually vinyl) seat. It runs and drives...kinda. Not much power. But idles smooth . No dead injectors. Turbo doesn't seem to be doing anything. No smoke at start or idle. The ignition switch doesn't work to start the truck so he added a push button. Rebuilt tranny with receipt still under warranty. All new drive line u-joints as well. Transfer case or linkage is definitely messed up. It will stay in gear unless you let off the throttle and coast then the t-case pops in between that gear and neutral and make a horrible grinding sound until you come to a complete stop and put it back. The transmission shift lever seems wonky...and the indicator for the gears doesn't work.

I decided to pass on the other truck as it wasn't in the greatest shape despite only having 110k miles. So I bought it for 2k. Going to pick it up on a trailer Wednesday. Here are some pics....

Oh and its a Texas truck so no rust.

D
Old 01-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

for that kind of $$$ id say do it.... make it a beater tuck that does eveything you need it to and is reliable, ive always wanted to pick up a beat f-350 cheep with a 7.3 and cut the frame down to like a bronco wheelbase, chop the rear frame horns off and make a custom flat bed anf trash it as a trail rig... hahaha
Old 01-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol_Blue97 View Post
for that kind of $$$ id say do it.... make it a beater tuck that does eveything you need it to and is reliable, ive always wanted to pick up a beat f-350 cheep with a 7.3 and cut the frame down to like a bronco wheelbase, chop the rear frame horns off and make a custom flat bed anf trash it as a trail rig... hahaha
Man if I had another truck I would build another trail rig in a heart beat. But unfortunately I wanted to save this from the slow death it was receiving and turn it into a daily driver again. I plan on bringing it back to a clean daily driver and maybe mod it a bit. I still might swap it to manual eventually.

D
Old 01-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Unpremium Member

That's going to be a nice rig, especially for the $$.

Dents and scrapes I can live with, I just hate fixing rust. I'm doing the same thing you are to a '95 extra cab 4x4. Beat up, lots of miles, but rust free. I started at the front bumper. I am just finishing up the ball joints, tie rod ends, and front axle u-joints. All totally shot. I have a long way to go, but I enjoy working on it - it's a nice way to relax from work.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:33 PM

still a good price, looks like a good project
Old 01-02-2012, 12:35 AM

for $2000 and rust free that a good deal. Dents are easy and don't come back unless you have an operator error rust just does what it wants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.