Bent Idler Pulley? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake Vacuum Pulley? HELP

Well, managed the blow up my serpentine belt on the way home from work tonight. Limped the truck home (about 5 miles) without brakes or power steering. Kept a close eye on the engine temp, and luckily it was cold outside as I didn't even come close to overheating. Popped the hood and got the belt untangled from the radiator fan and water-pump. No damage there.
Upon furthe inspection I realized the upper idler pulley (between AC and power steering) was bent so badly that it was wedged against the engine block and unable to turn.
What am I looking at as far as repairs? I'm relatively new to the PSD, so I'm unsure whether I just shot a bearing, or if it's possible the shaft that the pulley rides on itself is bent. I'll post pictures in the AM, and will probably know more once I've removed the pulley. I don't feel like working on the truck without good lighting in 20degree weather.

Last edited by backwoodsboy; 12-22-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 11:27 AM

Turns out my assumption last night was wrong. After looking at the belt diagram closer, it seems that I've actually shot a bearing, or bent the shaft on my brake vacuum pump.
The pulley itself is smooth, not ribbed, which led me to believe it was an idler pulley.
Any advice? Am I looking at a new vacuum pump ($$) or can i replace the pulley itself?
Old 12-22-2011, 11:40 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
New pump, its only 3 10 mm bolts holding it in, mine seized a while ago, pretty easy fix actually.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:52 AM

i had that issue, turned out the bearings in the idler pulley were shot. replaced that and i was good to go. nothing went wrong with the vacuum pump though...
Old 12-22-2011, 12:03 PM

Any need to bleed the brake system afterwards? I noticed some brake fluid on the cap of my master cylinder, but that's probably the result of me standing on the brake with both feet approaching a red light.
Talk about a 'full body workout'. P90X has nothing on driving a fullsized truck without power steering or brakes.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:30 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Lmao, damn straight, yeah when my vacuum pump went out I got 2 belts, both with warranty, and snapped one before I even got it home, guy at the parts counter thought I was crazy kause belt cost $100 and he said they were guaranteed against ripping like that, guess he don't know much bout diesels lol, but gave me a refund and I installed other belt and got a new pump never had problem since
Old 12-22-2011, 06:38 PM

Well, six hours, two trips to the hardware store, and a trip to my parts store later and I finally have a new vacuum pump on the truck.
Whoever the jack@SS was who put the previous pump on must have had the entire front clip off, and used a foot long cheater bar. I'm a pretty strong guy (bench over 350lbs) and those 10mm bolts wouldn't move for the longest time.
Turns out I shot the rear (aluminum) pressure seal completely off the pump, and my pulley rubbed a decent sized groove into the pump itself. I'd say it was time for a new one . I'm going to wait for morning to install the new belt, and i've got the batteries charging at the moment.
My only question is, should I bleed the brake system? I'm guessing so, as a catasprophic failure like that must have introduced air into the brake system,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.