NO START PROBLEM wiggling shifter used to work - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NO START PROBLEM wiggling shifter used to work

several months ago I started having problems with my 97 cclwb4x4 not wanting to start but if I jiggled and wiggled the auto shift handle it would crank right up. now it takes a lot of manipulating to start and does not respond to what I used to do so is there anyone that has had this problemo and what's the remedy? thanks for your time and info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sounds like you need the pnr relay, tells wether its park neutral reverse, have you tried starting in neutral tho for a quick fix?
Old 12-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yes I have tried it in neutral and it's the same. what is the pnr relay and where is it located?
Old 12-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Its the park neutral reverse sensor, PRNDL sensor, neutral safety switch, trans range sensor, and prolly some other names for it. It is located on the driver side of the trans, the only sensor on that side. It is where your shifter linkage hooks up to. They are about $55 at a parts store and super easy to swap. When they go out the truck doesn't know what gear it is and won't start.

Have you noticed if you still have reverse lights?
Old 12-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yessir, got reverse lites so maybe it's this sensor. I craweled under and saw what I think is that sensor. what would happen if I bridged it and put it direct ?
Old 12-19-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstelly View Post
yessir, got reverse lites so maybe it's this sensor. I craweled under and saw what I think is that sensor. what would happen if I bridged it and put it direct ?
Its the only sensor on the trans on the driver side, right above the pan. Big black thing with a lever on it, connected to the shifter linkage. Also make sure that the plug is in there tight and make sure its clean.

Not quite sure what you mean my bridging it, but you can bypass it by jumping the starter solenoid on the fender. That will start the truck no matter what, but if the sensor is bad then it might/should shift weird. If you were to unhook or bypass the sensor then the truck shouldn't even be able to move, as the tranny won't know whats going on, and it still won't start with the key.

It might also need adjusted, seeing as it won't start but you have reverse lights, cause they are tied into this sensor. I've been troubleshooting problems on my new trans and had broken off the top of this sensor. Installed the new one and the truck would not start at all in any gear. Got to talking to the trans guy and he told me to make sure i had it lined up, which i didn't. Lined it up and now its starting fine. Its possible that its vibrated out of alignment, so this may or may not help you.

What you do is put the truck in neutral and set the parking brake. Crawl under and pop the shifter linkage off the lever, then take the lever off. The sensor slides over a rod, and it is a disc that rotates in the sensor. There is a groove on this little ring/disc, and one on the sensor itself. They have to be lined up perfectly in neutral for it to know what gear your in. To adjust that you loosen up the two small bolts and move the sensor around till their lined up, tighten em up, and put it back together.

Sounds complicated, but its really easy. Without having an actual scan tool that is about the only thing you can do to troubleshoot it. If its lined up perfectly already, then i'd say you have a bad sensor or bad connection. If its not lined up perfectly already, then this should help it.

Or it could always be somewhere else, and for whatever reason wiggling the shifter somehow let it start.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

FYI I took my truck to my automotive electrical mechanic and he found the problem and fixed it easily by changing the solenoid which is located on the right fender close to and behind the battery.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

so easy ! why didn't you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstelly View Post
FYI I took my truck to my automotive electrical mechanic and he found the problem and fixed it easily by changing the solenoid which is located on the right fender close to and behind the battery.
this was so easy that I could not believe that you all did not recommend this simple, cheap and easy solution to this problem. thanks anyway for the input. as always, my very best to you all.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:54 PM

Hmm, the solenoid is a very common problem and easy fix, and i've replaced a ton of em on our OBS's. But when you said that jiggling the shifter lever would make it start, for me it pointed at just the PNR sensor on the trans.

BTW, if you ever have a problem with it not starting you can jump that solenoid with a screwdriver. Just connect the two big posts together and it'll send power straight to the starter no matter what. On the farm truck that was the only way you could start it for a while cause my grandpa was to cheap to buy a new one.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

muchas thank you !

hey jimmy, you actually nailed my problem and I didn't see it when you mentioned the solenoid on the fender. I guess I should have had a clue when I heard that clicking sound coming from under the hood but I just didn't know about the solenoid. so very nice of you to take the time and give me the good news/advice. all my best to you and yours from me south of the border.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.