Christmas Present for my truck! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Christmas Present for my truck!

I'm thinking about getting a scanner, im not sure how much they are or what will work. I do know that I plugged in an OBD2 scanner( it hooks up to a program and runs some freeware, it clears codes on my gas car ect)

but it wouldn't work on my truck.

1997 7.3, whats the best scanner to buy, to just read information about the engine, and check codes if i ever get any ect.

Do you need a programmer to read codes?

just links and information/ opinions about scan tools/programmers is what im looking for

Thanks a lot guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 12:43 AM

What exactly are you looking for? Just reading codes, or would you like to be able to do injector buzz tests as well?
If all you're doing is reading codes, I'd recomend going for a SuperChips Programmer. You get the ability to read codes, as well as a 'Towing' and 'High Performance' tune. I'm running their High Performance tune on my truck, and while it's nowhere near a custom tune, the extra power is nice from time to time.
Might as well kill two birds with one stone, code reader and a power programmer for not a whole lot more money than your basic code reader.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:46 AM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Auto Enginuity, best bang for the buck.

Gives you the ability to test various parameters, log them, more detailed DTC report, etc.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:44 AM

Well, I think an injector buzz test would be nice, but im not even 100% sure of what is does, i think it tests(obviously) each injector and you can tell by the sound if it is in proper working condition or not. is this method fail proof? is it worth getting a programer with the buzz test?

I wouldn't mind having a programmer to get a little more power, like you said I dont need custom tune power, just a little extra if im not sending a hole lot more then just a scanner.

I filled out my vehicle information on superchips.com 1997 f250 7.3 zf5 and there was nothing listed, ill keep looking but maybe there is a specific model that works, but isn't an exact fit?

Last edited by csdwarf11; 12-19-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:09 PM

Superchip's website definitely needs improvement.
I think mine is a 'Superchips PowerPack 1725' or something along those lines. I can verify that when I get home from work.
Overall, I'm happy with mine. Takes less than 5 minutes and a couple toggles of the ignition to tune or de-tune the truck.
Haven't done any extensive code reading (no reason to *knock on wood*), but it's just as easy.
Each Superchip is 'Vin Locked' to the vehicle it was originally used to program, but from what I understand you can send them back to the manufacturer and get them unlocked for a fee. With a lot of guys moving to custom tunes, you could probably get a good deal on one off craigslist, and then get it unlocked.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:05 PM

alright sweet, if you could check what one it is it would be great, then ill look into it more.

Local Craigslist is pretty useless around here,I have one of like 5 diesel in town. Ill look, but ill also check ebay ect.

do you have the same truck as me? ect? if not will it still work?

1997 f250 7.3 psd (non intercooled non waste gated ect.)

I have 10k mod, FPR shim, 4 inch Diamond eye exhaust and napa intake if that would effect the tuner at all.

Thanks again!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:58 PM

Checked my tuner today. It's a Superchip 1705.
And yes, I do have the same truck as you. 1997 F250 EC LB. My engine is all stock, other than the chip, intake and exhaust.
I don't see how the FPR shim would effect the chip in any way, and reading up on the 10k mod, it seems like people have best results when running a chip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.