New need help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New need help

I have looked all over trying to see the size of the fuel tanks on my 97 f250 and they all say 20 gallons but I can only put in 15 at the most when on E do you guys think I still have 5 gallons or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to OnTheBio
It should be in the manual. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) 19 in front tank and 18 in back.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

And another thing my truck seems to loose power and shuts off sometimes when I turn on my lights open my door or really anything that drains power. Or when it's cold. The dumb *** I bought it from put small car batteries in it. Do you think this is the problem? Can't afford new ones till next friday
Old 12-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So should I just run it and see if I run out? How hard is it to get started again if I run out?
Old 12-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If ya run out fill the fuel bowl or keep cranking till it starts
Old 12-16-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis93888 View Post
So should I just run it and see if I run out? How hard is it to get started again if I run out?
I'm assuming you're talking about running the truck out of diesel. Don't. Grenading diesel injectors with air is never a good idea. Just fill the truck up before it gets to 'E'. I don't trust these old guages, so I tend to fill up before 1/4 of a tank.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsboy View Post
I'm assuming you're talking about running the truck out of diesel. Don't. Grenading diesel injectors with air is never a good idea. Just fill the truck up before it gets to 'E'. I don't trust these old guages, so I tend to fill up before 1/4 of a tank.
Sometimes it's not just the gauge. It's been reported that the screen at the bottom of the pickup tube sometimes falls off, and thus the tube can't draw any fuel below about 1/4 tank. I don't know of any way to test/inspect for that, short of dropping the tank (or pulling the bed) and removing the pickup / sending unit gizmo.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis93888 View Post
And another thing my truck seems to loose power and shuts off sometimes when I turn on my lights open my door or really anything that drains power. Or when it's cold. The dumb *** I bought it from put small car batteries in it. Do you think this is the problem? Can't afford new ones till next friday
Buy yourself a digitial multimeter, best tool I own hands down. Test your batteries for 14v. If its less than that likely its your alternator. You also need to ensure you have good batteries, but I would expect they would run stuff ok, just have starting troubles.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Sometimes it's not just the gauge. It's been reported that the screen at the bottom of the pickup tube sometimes falls off, and thus the tube can't draw any fuel below about 1/4 tank. I don't know of any way to test/inspect for that, short of dropping the tank (or pulling the bed) and removing the pickup / sending unit gizmo.
Yeah, I guess I was overly specific there.
I was mainly commenting on the fact that the OP has his fuel guage read empty, but thinks there is still at least five gallons of diesel in the tank. Hell, it could be alot worse. I had an '87 F150 that would run out of fuel with the guage still reading half a tank!

Oh and by the way, my '97 F250 has an 18 gallon front and 17 gallon rear for 35 gallons total. So I'd say your fuel guage was pretty darn accurate if you're pumping 15 gallons in on "E".

Last edited by backwoodsboy; 12-17-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.