Concerns & Questions to Ask - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Concerns & Questions to Ask

97 powerstroke crew cab

I'm going to be trading my Jeep that has over 14k put into it this Sunday for the truck above. But before I do I want to know exactly what to look for and questions to ask. The guy tells me the tranny has a 2 year warranty through ford, the truck (f350) has 360k miles on it, black exterior+grey interior (two door handles missing interior), and the rack+box are not included. I have done some research and learned that the 97 powerstroke motor is extremely reliable but with this mileage is there something I need to look for?? Any comments/suggestions would be great. Thanks everyone.

Picture of my Jp:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

With almost 400k miles, there is no flippin way I'd pay anywhere near his asking price. Broken interior handles make me question how much he has neglected the rest of the truck too, like brakes, ball joints, shocks, etc.
If I were you and you are really interested in that truck, go over it with a fine tooth comb, take it to a shop if you have to and get it on a lift. Inspect EVERYTHING. And beat him down on his price. If you are doing a straight across trade for your Jeep, I think you're getting screwed.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

I had that slight gut feeling too. He says he has had it for two years, only drove it to work, no shims or vibs driving, four wheel drive works as it should, washes it every two weeks, its between excellent and good condition, and he never used it to haul. But I still get nervous just looking at it in the picture and the idea was to do a straight trade. I think its a good truck but not the right one for the jeep to trade straight across right?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Jeep looks nice, I would definitely look it over and negotiate price, but I don't necessarily think you would be getting screwed. The Jeep is a 1995 model or older and the truck is a 1997. Truck cost more than the Jeep to begin with so....depends on mileage and condition of both. The Jeep appears well taken care of, hopefully the truck is too, but you will have to determine that.
-Aaron
Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

I KBB my rig and his and my 1993 Jeep came out to $6000 and his came out to $8000. He also doesn't have any modifications and here's my list:

93' Jeep Wrangler. Nearly everything has been replaced.

Drivetrain:

1. Rebuilt 4 cylinder engine with 20k miles
2. Rebuilt AX-5 transmission from Swinehearts with Centerforce clutch
3. Rebuilt NP231 with SYE and wider sprocket chain
4. Dana 30 front with one piece axles (larger u-joint adds strength) and 4.88 G2 gears
5. Dana 35 rear with 4.88 G2 gears
6. Rebuilt front drive line and rear CV drive line

Under the hood:

1. New alternator
2. New water pump
3. Air raid CAI
4. Air raid Throttle Body Spacer
5. Goodyear Gatorback Belt
6. New power steering pump
7. New steering box with Warn Skidplate
8. Optima Red Top battery
9. OE style jack
10. New cap and rotor with new spark plugs and wires
11. New starter
12. New engine mounts
13. Magnaflow exhaust coming off of Pacesetter header

Lighting:

1. Vision-X Rock Lights
2. PIAA 580 Lamps
3. 6000K HIDs in H4 Rampage housings
4. LED rear tail lights
5. Interior dome light

Exterior:

1. Poison Spider Customs Rear Crusher Corners
2. Xenon 6 in Flat-Style fender flares
3. Mopar diamond plate rocker knocker
4. Custom front stinger bumper with 12000lb Mile Marker Winch
5. Rear swing-out tire carrier with a 33'' Pro Comp Mud Terrain mounted on a black Allied steel wheel
6. 33/12.5/15 Maxxis Bighorns with American Racing Mojave Teflon Coated aluminum wheels
7. Rugged Ridge Heater Scoop
8. PIAA wiper blades
9. Four Wheel Parts window sticker and Don't Fear the Jeeper sticker mounted on the side of driver fender
10. Four inch Skyjacker leaf springs in the front with four inch Procomp springs in the rear

Interior:

1. Brand new Smittybilt XRC (black) 5-point seats
2. GT Grant steering wheel
3. Custom roll cage wrapped
4. Tuffy Center console with Cobra CB mounted inside
5. Bed lined interior
6. Alpine deck, amp, and Kicker Bass
7. Two water-proof 6x9 speakers mounted on wheel wells
8. New seat belts
9. Locked cargo box containing tools, spare u-joints, motor oil, transfer case oil, poncho, flare, etc.
10. Year old Best Top Supertop with tinted windows
11. New Hi-Lift jack (red) horizontally mounted on Quadratec's exclusive bracket
12. Roll bar mounted fire extinguisher for quick use

Not mentioned:

1. New windshield and frame
2. Directional heater duct
3. New fuel pump
4. All fluids are by Amsoil
5. New fan and clutch
6. New OE weatherstipping for windshield to body
7. Three recovery points
8. The Jeep has been very well maintained and taken care of
9. Clean title, all receipts in hand
Old 12-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If it was washed every 2 weeks, why are the only pictures he posted of it dirty? And he only owned it for 2 years, how many other owners has it had? He has only put about 24,000 of the 360,000 ish miles on it, he probably doesnt have the service history on it. Not knocking a nice truck, but a $14K Jeep for a $8k truck????? Not if I was the one trading
Old 12-15-2011, 10:30 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Honestly, Take some more time and look elsewhere. that truck sounds hammered. its worth probbly 4000 locally, nowhere near 8000.

your jeep is plenty good for a Powerstroke barter. just keep lookin!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Premium Member

KK. Sounds good guys. I have been looking for a good powerstroke for a month now and have come up empty handed. Patience is a virtue? Lol. Btw, 93f350powerstroke5spd, when you say its plenty good for a powerstroke barter, up to what year could the Jeep trade for? 1999? Read your project page too, pretty legit man. Love the Monster Energy.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:42 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo3244 View Post
KK. Sounds good guys. I have been looking for a good powerstroke for a month now and have come up empty handed. Patience is a virtue? Lol. Btw, 93f350powerstroke5spd, when you say its plenty good for a powerstroke barter, up to what year could the Jeep trade for? 1999? Read your project page too, pretty legit man. Love the Monster Energy.
As in you could get probly a 5500 truck depending on the person, i know if i had that jeep id try and trade it for a PSD.

just up to 1995 unless your mechanicly inclined and can work on these things you wont get a super nice Superduty, unless its a xl and has 250k on it those go for like 5-6k i almost bought one!.

& thank you!, alot of blood and tears into this truck. I wont ever stop though!

my next truck will be a superduty, ill problly keep the dually if i can afford two trucks
Old 12-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

I did all the work on the Jeep and worked on several other cars so I feel confident in fixing things. I'll keep looking for the right truck. I just take great care of my stuff and its hard to find a truck that hasn't been beat down. I'd keep the dually if I was you. Just my two cents. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.