Its plugged in, anti gel in fuel, still real hard to start. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 06:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Its plugged in, anti gel in fuel, still real hard to start.

hey i got a 97 350 and i put glow plugs in a lil less than a year ago i always use my anti gel in the fuel and plug it in every night. but when i gets real cold. it was about -8 at night it takes so long to start that i sometimes kill the batteries. lots and lots of white smoke. bad injectors? glow plugs? im confused on what it could be. i know my furl pump is leaking pretty bad just need time to change it. could it be a fuel pressure problem??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 06:44 AM
Banned

Sounds like a GP or GPR problem.

How many times do you cycle your GP's? Do you plug in at night? Our hpop-driven HEUI powerstrokes dont like the cold because they have to build oil pressure in order to start, and when it gets as cold as -8*, it makes the oil thick as mollasses and makes the truck not want to start.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:54 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to baderic03
My truck is the same way I just keep it plugged in over night and starts rate up instantly in the am
Old 12-14-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
How many times do you cycle your GP's?
"Cycle" the glow plugs? How? You realize that when you turn the key to RUN, when the engine is fully cold, the glow plugs will run for up to two minutes.

GP/GPR tests: with the key off, one "big" terminal should have full battery voltage and the other should have no voltage. With the key in RUN, both big terminals should have voltage (it'll be less, usu. around 11-11.5), and the voltage on the "always hot" one should only be slightly higher than the other. If the difference between them is more than 0.3V, the GP relay is suspect.

To check the GPs, disconnect one of the valve cover harnesses and connect an ohmmeter between either "outer" terminal and a ground. Resistance should be between 0.6 and 2.0 ohms. Do the same on the other "outer" terminal, and in turn, on the other three harness connectors.

When it does start, the voltmeter on the dash should read left-of-center for 90 seconds or so, and then move right-of-center. You can confirm this by measuring the voltage at one of the batteries with a voltmeter.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
Sounds like a GP or GPR problem.

How many times do you cycle your GP's? Do you plug in at night? Our hpop-driven HEUI powerstrokes dont like the cold because they have to build oil pressure in order to start, and when it gets as cold as -8*, it makes the oil thick as mollasses and makes the truck not want to start.
i do sometimes but hate to say that i dont everytime lol. ya that makes sense. i guess its justr something i gotta deal with being in the cold thanks for your help
Old 12-14-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
"Cycle" the glow plugs? How? You realize that when you turn the key to RUN, when the engine is fully cold, the glow plugs will run for up to two minutes.

GP/GPR tests: with the key off, one "big" terminal should have full battery voltage and the other should have no voltage. With the key in RUN, both big terminals should have voltage (it'll be less, usu. around 11-11.5), and the voltage on the "always hot" one should only be slightly higher than the other. If the difference between them is more than 0.3V, the GP relay is suspect.

To check the GPs, disconnect one of the valve cover harnesses and connect an ohmmeter between either "outer" terminal and a ground. Resistance should be between 0.6 and 2.0 ohms. Do the same on the other "outer" terminal, and in turn, on the other three harness connectors.

When it does start, the voltmeter on the dash should read left-of-center for 90 seconds or so, and then move right-of-center. You can confirm this by measuring the voltage at one of the batteries with a voltmeter.
ok ill have to check that. if something is bad will it show more resistance or less?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350oldskool View Post
if something is bad will it show more resistance or less?
Either way. More resistance means it's not drawing as much current (V=IR...), thus not heating up. Infinite resistance means it's broken (or the wiring to it is broken) and not heating at all. Lower or zero resistance means it's shorting.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:17 AM

if you just put glowplugs in they should be fine as long as you used a decent brand. if I had to guess I would say your glow plug relay is at fault. check the voltage on that before anything else.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:22 AM

Check the glow plug system as stated. If all checks out, check your hpop pressure.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:32 AM

^^^^^ Speaking of which, consider the lube oil pressure ("LPOP") as well. Since it takes so long cranking, it should, after, oh, 4-5 seconds, register on the dash "gauge".

And speaking further of which, how's the oil level? And how old is it? Might also be worth pulling the top plug on the HPOP reservoir and peering in to observe the level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.