engine oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 06:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
engine oil

I have always used 15w-40 Rotella T in my 1996 OBS. The truck only has 56,000 miles and I'm getting ready for another oil change. I have always changed the oil at 5,000 miles or at a year which ever comes first. Should I change to a different oil like Schaffer's or just stick with Rotella T? The truck is stock except a 3" DP to 4" straight exhaust, Tymar intake, and Autometer gauges. Over the winter while the truck sits in the garage staying out of the salt I was planning on installing a Tony Wildman chip and maybe changing the injector oil (I've heard that is a waste of time but I have an oil siphon). Just wondering if Rotella is sufficant for my truck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 06:39 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It's the same oil from hpop to lpop injector to pan, its kinda over the top to just syphon it out if you already drained it, your not going to get every last drop out now. But as far as type of oil, I think they are both just as good, very jealous of your less than 60k miles BTW, I have almost 289k and just use normal from the dealer oil.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i use motorcraft oil from wally every 5k, used to use rotela too. either are more than adequate.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:52 AM

i do suck out the hpop resivior, just because i get an extra quart of dirty oil out, but it is not at all necessary. do not follow powerstrokehelp.coms procedure, it is a waste of time. especially the prolong, dont ever use any addatives in the oil. lucas, slick, prolong, etc. bad juju.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the info. When you suck the extra quart out, do you still just put in the 15 recommended back in. The truck is great. I bought it from a friend of mine who purchased the 350 brand new. He never drove it in any weather and always kept it in the garage. It took me 6 years to finally get the truck. He didn't want to sell it. The truck looks like the day it rolled off the showroom floor.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:28 AM

no, you will need to refill the res with about a quart. maybe 1/2" to 1" from the top.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrpd diesel View Post
I have always used 15w-40 Rotella T in my 1996 OBS. The truck only has 56,000 miles and I'm getting ready for another oil change. I have always changed the oil at 5,000 miles or at a year which ever comes first. Should I change to a different oil like Schaffer's or just stick with Rotella T? The truck is stock except a 3" DP to 4" straight exhaust, Tymar intake, and Autometer gauges. Over the winter while the truck sits in the garage staying out of the salt I was planning on installing a Tony Wildman chip and maybe changing the injector oil (I've heard that is a waste of time but I have an oil siphon). Just wondering if Rotella is sufficant for my truck
Rotella is the best selling HDEO on the market, people have put billions of miles on it. Since your mileage accumulation is slow little I would just continue running the 5k/1 year OCI with Rotella. Schaeffers is great stuff but not worth it IMHO w/o extended service intervals.

Sounds like you got a great rig!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:31 PM

yeah stick with the rotella and no additives. rotella will do just as good as any other oil on the market
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.