Fuel Leak in Valley - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fuel Leak in Valley

The truck is getting up there in miles (rolled 286K the other day), and now I've got a fuel leak. The bowl hasn't been disturbed since I've had it, which leads me to doubt the lines, but I believe the pump is original. What would you suspect to be leaking, the lines or the pump? or the bowl itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
USUALLY, not always, the soft fuel lines that go from the hard lines to the fuel bowl dry out and crack and begin to leak. They are pre-cut an pre-formed lines from Ford, or you can get them from say dieselorings.com. Either that or the drain switch is leaking. Either way I would pull out the fuel bowl and get the rebuild kit from diselorings.com and rebuild it, the kit is like 17 bucks, as well as those lines and take care of it all in one shot so you don't have to go back in.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:49 AM

Perfect, thank you. Would you also change the fuel pump at this point?
Old 12-13-2011, 03:40 AM
Powerstroke Techie

I've seen the bottom of the fuel filter housings corrode away and leak. This is usually due to excessive water/gunk laying in the bottom of the fuel filter housing. When you have the filter out look under the fuel heater and see if there is a bunch of crud down there. You might have to remove the fuel heater to get it cleaned out. Look for any signs of pitting or corrosion on the bottom of the filter housing.

The fuel pumps can also start to leak externally. There is a weep hole on the pump that will leak fuel if the pump is worn out.

I would start with cleaning out the valley of the engine really good. Then run the truck and see whether the fuel leak is coming from the filter housing area of the fuel pump. If it leaks between the pump and the turbo area then it's fuel pump. If it's in front of the fuel pump more towards the filter housing then I would investigate that further.

If you are removing the filter housing then now would be the time to do the fuel pump and all the blue hoses while you have it apart.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:10 PM

Send a message via MSN to 95_Powerstroke
I had the same issue when I first got mine, ended up being the fuel pump and one of the lines
Old 12-13-2011, 04:37 PM

Well, I have fuel in both places. I'm tempted to believe it's something around the bowl, then running back to where the pump is. I ordered all the blue lines and the o-ring kit for the bowl. I'll swap all that out, and if it's still leaking I'll put a pump in it.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

try this.............It happened to my friends 97 f250HD and my 96f250.

Put a piece of clean paper towel under this little sensor. Let the motor run for about 15mins. Most of the leak will occur between the metal housing and the plastic NOT the threading. The Ford dealer could not locate this problem even though they had the truck twice. Diesel will leak slow one drop at a time. The valley will be filled eventually. I thought it was my rear main seal until a friend told me that the oil on the driveway was not tranny fluid. The part is $75 at the stealer. I got mine from ebay for much less. Sensor is located on driver side of the filter housing. Good luck...

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have had 2 OBS strokes leaking in the valley, both were leaking from the weep hole on the fuel pump. I dried everything up then stuck a rag down there, tucked under the pump and found the leak right there.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:43 PM

If it's not the lines or the pump, it's the water in fuel sensor. Put an 1/8" NPT plug in the hole and drive it until the wheels fall off.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had a leak in the same area and it was that black diafram thing thats under the torbo pedestal. Not sure exactly what it is, bot it developed a bad leak where it was put together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.