Buy or rebuild!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buy or rebuild!?

Is it worth having a tired old 7.3 re-sleeved and rebuilt or should I just spend the $8k on a new motor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Rebuilt, unless cavitation has bastardized your cylinder walls so much that you can't resleeve.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:14 AM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovemeister View Post
bastardized
I love it
Old 12-09-2011, 12:28 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I say pull from the yard or a school bus, or just about anything
Old 12-09-2011, 11:22 PM

IMHO guys you can buy a ford motor craft oem rebuilt kit for about a grand. You can do all the work yourself and save about $3000-7000 dollars over a rebuilt motor. My mech will rebuild my motor for $1500 bucks (maybe little more). I doubt I would ever swap a motor in because for a little more work I have a brand new motor.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:24 PM

first off sorry about the long post, but when i did my motor i learned so much that i think everyone should know.

rebuilding it is the cheapest way... and you can up grade if you want. about a grand for the kit, about the same the machine work, and if you know a guy you can get away with about 500 or less to put it back together unless you know what your doing and do it yourself. injectros, turbo, fuel system if your wanting more power. I suggest putting in the comp 910 valve springs no matter what its going to be apart anyway. I have a lil over 5000 in my motor but i have a few buddys that saved me some on machine work and helping me put the motor back together and such that includes.

rebuild kit(~1100)
machine work with new valves(~750-1200) depending on shop and how much you have done, dont forget to get the crank checked and sized before you order the kit so if you need oversized bearings you can order them with the kit.
910 valve springs(90-100)
d66 turbo(~1100)
reassembly(depending on shop and long block or short block)(750-1000)
all new fluids

if you think you have any parts failing, powerstreering, water pump etc do it while its on the engine stand. and if you do not use the EBPV much i would take it off and weld up the holes. so much easier to get to the back two bolts with that out of the way.

also spray the srap out the up-pipes before you go to replace the seals on the upper parts that bolts to the turbo because i cracked mine(its about 100 bucks at ford if i remember right)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.