Looking for Help / Advice with my 96 Motor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for Help / Advice with my 96 Motor

Please note I also posted this in the Performance section, I am trying to get a lot of people to take a look at it.

Well here's the story & I'm sorry for the length of the thread but I wanted to give as much detail as possible so I can get A LOT of help from you guys that have more knowledge & experieced with Powerstroke motors than I do. I have talked to a few of you guys before but I was hoping to get more input & advice from some of you guys as I get closer to dropping in my motor I have to make a few important decisions in the next few days/weeks and would like to hear from you guys who have modified & upgraded your motors.

Let me start my explaining my PROJECT. I have a 1992 Ford Bronco that is my baby. I have had it paid off for some time now and really wanted to make a one of kind truck out of it so I decided to take out the 351W and put in a Powerstroke. I have been wanting a diesel truck for a few years now and I just can't justify buying another truck when I have my Bronco sitting in the drive way.

I started about a year ago looking for a Powerstroke Motor. I was looking for a 99 and up motor but I ended up finding a 1996 Motor out of an E-350 van with 118,000 miles on it, I paid $1600 delivered to my door complete minus the ECU and IDM (No Big Deal).

I bought the Automatic tranny and transfer case from a 97 F-250 with 88,000 miles on it from a Diesel dismantler in Georgia. If you need some parts for 94 -97 Powerstrokes here is his e-mail address Jayjayauto@aol.com. Tell Jay you got his contact info from Anthony in Florida. He's a honest guy and very reasonable as far as prices go, he's also doing a lot of house cleaning so now might be a good time to buy from him!

I am now 9 months into the project because of various hold ups etc etc. Anyway, we just found out the motor won't fit because the E-Series motor has a different manifold / exhaust system setup. So I have 2 choices move the firewall at a cost of $2,000 bucks or find an F-Series manifold setup. I have chosen to wait & find the F-Series setup. I have waited this long so what's another month or so.

While I have been waiting for the last few weeks I have bought a lot of stuff to put on the motor while it's already out. So here is goes...

Here is what I have
1. TS Performance 6 Position Chip - I just purchased it; Any suggestion on what settings I should program?? I was thinking Anti-theft, 60, 75, 100, 125, & 140.

2. TS Performance IDM Voltage Upgrade

3. Trying to make a 4" Down Pipe fit but might have to be 3.5" or 3"

4. 4" Exhaust Straight Back

5. ATS Torque Pro 2000 Propane Injection System (I have the system but wanted to know if I should use it or not. I have had MIXED OPINIONS about using propane with High HP INJECTORS! I REALLY NEED SOME HELP ON THIS ONE GUYS; I WAS HOPING THAT SOMEONE HAS A GOOD EXPLANATION OR REASON ON WHY TO USE IT OR WHY NOT) Can someone explain to me how it all works? I was thinking of using it more for Fuel Efficiency

6. Swamps 175/46 Injectors 150 hp

7. Intercooler Added - I'm sure most of you know that 96 motors are NON intercooled. I just bought the spider pipe from a 99 PSD, all the other pipes will have to be custom bent & I have a 6.0 intercooler that my installer gave me from a take off with less than 5K miles

8. F-250 Front Springs / 1999 F-250 Sterling 10.25 Rear w/ 3.73 gears (I have the front just no $$ to install it yet)

9. Air Lift Load Controller with Air Lift #80590 Polyair Spring Front Kit & Air Lift #57215 Load Lifter 5000. I went with Air Bags all the way around.

Here is what I have left to buy

1. Air Filter - I just need the filter because the pipe will have to be custom bent anyway. I am considering AFE Stage 1 or AFE Stage 2 but I wanted some input from you guys because if there is any other filters on the market that I should consider let me know.

2. Tri Pod Gauges - (Tranny Temp, Boost, EGT) Any Suggestions??

3. Water Methanol Injection Kit (I was thinking of selling the propane kit and use the money to buy a Methanol Kit) Anyone REALLY happy with their Methanol kit or have any suggestions? Anyone know about Water Injection, Methanol Injection systems: Coolingmist

Guys I really value any input you may have. If you have a suggestion and you think I am setting this motor up wrong or you think I should use something else just let me know. I want to do this motor right the first time and use some of the best products on the market which is why I took my time to make this thread and ask for help from you guys that have first hand experience with some of the after markert add on's that I'm looking at.

I want to thank you all in advance for your help and input.

THANKS,
BRONCODIESEL92
Anthony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.