1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 142 Old 12-04-2011, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) Screen Writeup

So I suspect that you may be hunting for some lost miles per gallon, or perhaps have noticed sluggish performance from your 7.3 Powerstroke. I am going to walk you through locating and cleaning the FPR Screen.

The FPR is designed to maintain the fuel pressure in the cylinder heads at 40 psi. In addition ensuring that the return restrictor doesn't get clogged with grit. It is my understanding that the oring failing and clogging the screen is a myth and rather is gunk from the tank. O-rings are responsible for clogging your spool valve in your FPR, however.

Step 1:

Step 2:

Between step 2 and 3 it is essential that you have a telescoping magnet handy to catch the screen if it falls into the valley (area below the bowl). Mine fell in during install and removal and I retrieved it both times.

Step 3:

Once you have access to the screen you will find this (most likely)

which is the fpr screen covered in a layer of debris.

I have found write ups that suggest using a qtip to clean it, but based upon how tightly packed the gunk was it would be ineffective. When you have the screen out soak it in some break cleaner for roughly 5 minutes. I then scrapped off what I could and then shot it clean with brake cleaner.

Reinstall is simply reverse of removal. I found it helpful on the reinstall to have a screwdriver in my right hand to pry the fpr away from the bowl, use a pair of needle nose to stick the screen in the housing, and then have a screw driver in my left to push it in a bit more.

For the o ring I found it helpful to again pry the fpr away from the fuel bowl and then stick it over the end of a screw driver. I used my finger to block the oring until I got it on the housing it rests on, and then slid it forward. Pushed the housing back into its location and ensured that the oring doesn't get pinched.

As always I declare no responsibility or liability in you breaking something while following my guide.

Information and pictures have been compiled from internet searches and my own personal knowledge.

Replace part numbers contributed via another member here
I verified and they are good! Ford part number 2C3Z-9157-AA seal kit. IH 1825748C92

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by glovemeister; 12-20-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 142 Old 12-05-2011, 05:01 AM

hmmm maybe thats why my trucks fuel mileage is a little low.... ill have to give that a try4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Conner

1997 F-250 Long Bed Extended Cab
--7.3 Powerstroke E40D Auto
--4.10 Rear End
--280,000 Miles

-Napa 6637 DIY CAI
-3 inch DP, 5 inch under truck, 6 inch Mitre!!

-2nd gen Wicked Wheel from Dieselsite
-Tony Wildman 6 Position Chip
Broke College Kid Mod

Now residing in LARAMIE, WY for school at the University of Wyoming! Hit me up if youre around, I'm always down for a hot rodding adventure

"Never cut what you can untie"
--Buckaroo Proverb
post #3 of 142 Old 12-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

a mod should put this in a sticky. awesome info. thank you

1994.5 F-350 2 wheel drive 7.3 powerstroke, ZF5, crew cab, dually, rear air lift with dash gauge and controls, 5th wheel and gooseneck brackets in bed, alcoa's, and a ton of miles (over *474k* and going strong) *now with diy tymar intake, mbrp 3" downpipe to 3" duals, stancor relay, prosport boost and pyro gauges, single mass flywheel*

post #4 of 142 Old 12-05-2011, 10:36 AM

Just cleaned mine over the weekend. Immediately noticed a pick up in power on the "seat of the pants" meter. I'm hoping I will see an increase in fuel mileage from my, as of now, dismal 11mpg.

1995 F250 ECLB ZF5 4X4:
3" DP to 4" Exhaust
Tymar Intake
CCV Mod
Valair Clutch
Gauges
post #5 of 142 Old 12-05-2011, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson Bearden View Post
Just cleaned mine over the weekend. Immediately noticed a pick up in power on the "seat of the pants" meter. I'm hoping I will see an increase in fuel mileage from my, as of now, dismal 11mpg.
I haven't noted an MPG increase I'm getting 12 and I reckon this tank will be the same or less. But that is partially because prior to this mod I noted it cutting out and after this mod (not a mod I guess but don't know what to call it, service procedure I guess). While I noted this cutting out I was running some damn high boost trying to haul *** and get home. After this mod I was running a few 25+ psi runs to see if its fixed or if I had another issue going on. This mod was done the day after this started occuring and it cured it. I've also been idling a lot so I suspect that also hurts my mileage quite a bit. After this mod I too noticed a more pep in the step of the truck, in that I am guessing less fuel is required to maintain the same psi in the injectors.

None the less this service is a must do.

post #6 of 142 Old 12-05-2011, 12:30 PM

Well maybe my problem is somewhere else then. The near 4.00 per gallon pricetag is good motivation to find the problem though.

1995 F250 ECLB ZF5 4X4:
3" DP to 4" Exhaust
Tymar Intake
CCV Mod
Valair Clutch
Gauges
post #7 of 142 Old 12-05-2011, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson Bearden View Post
Well maybe my problem is somewhere else then. The near 4.00 per gallon pricetag is good motivation to find the problem though.
Winter fuel.

post #8 of 142 Old 12-05-2011, 01:00 PM

Yeah, I don't know if the winter blend is stronger there or if it just affects PSDs more, but I haven't ever noticed a drop of more than 1 mpg with winter fuel in any of my Dodges. Shouldn't these trucks be getting 14-15 mpg or better? That is just based on what I've read on here. I wouldn't think winter fuel would drop mpg's 3-4 points

1995 F250 ECLB ZF5 4X4:
3" DP to 4" Exhaust
Tymar Intake
CCV Mod
Valair Clutch
Gauges
post #9 of 142 Old 12-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Emergency Services

I lost that screen years ago!

Thanks and Gig 'Em!
White 1995 F350 CC LB 4x4 7.3 SRW
Bought 8/27/09 with 183k miles
4 Position Chip, 35" BFG Mud Terrains, Bilstein 5125 Shocks, DIY Intake 6637, No cat/muffler, Carr Side Steps, Ranch Hand Front Bumper, Headache Rack, Rear Bumper

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2009

post #10 of 142 Old 12-05-2011, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie09 View Post
I lost that screen years ago!
Be a prudent idea to replace it I'd reckon. That or your tanks are damn pristine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode