Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) Screen Writeup - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 142 Old 12-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is this in all 7.3's? I have the E99 and figured this would be a good thing to check.

NAME: Justin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It gets me there, What more could I ask for?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 142 Old 12-16-2011, 04:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thanks for the part numbers. but is my pressures going to change due to not having it?

1997 F250 7.3L XLT Auto 4x4 std. cab
Hypertech maxenergy stage 1
dyi tymar intake
S.S downpipe to 5" stacks
glow shift gauges
pro comp xtreme alloy rims
Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/75/16
fpr mod
kcm s.s. hpx line
post #23 of 142 Old 12-17-2011, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Best mod yet! Well I guess its not really a mod, just a fix, but wow. Mine had, no joking, an 1/8th inch of black "stuff" on it. I blasted it with brake clean and reinstalled it. It idles much better now. I haven't driven it yet but I can assure you it has to run better. Free revs clean and smooth now. Under an hour including working at 7am with it being 30 degrees out. Cold started much better. I can't express what kind of difference it made. 190K, never cleaned.

1997 F-250 HD XLT CCSB 4x4, 7.3L PSD, ZF5, Dana 60
08+ diff cover, 33x12.50R20's on Moto Metal 962's
3" DP to 5" straight pipe, pyro & boost guage, HPx Line,
Edge Evo, CX Racing intercooler, 6.0L fan, 1.0 Housing,
SD pump, bowl delete E fuel, 4.10, EBPV delete and ped
LEDs and HIDs, Ranger shift knob, RiffRaff Billet wheel
Black, Tan interior.

38' Gooseneck Enclosed Car Hauler.

post #24 of 142 Old 12-17-2011, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordF250 View Post
thanks for the part numbers. but is my pressures going to change due to not having it?
Yeah I don't have Ford book or I would verify those were located in some searching so one of those ought to do you right. All the FPR does is ensure that pressure is maintained in the cylinder heads, and it allows excess to bleed off. So basically what you see in your tank is crap from your tank (some say its injector orings), but it is my understanding it mostly is crap that was either growing in your tank or pieces of something in your tank.
What that screen does is to protect a spool valve in your fpr. Based on what is found on the screen I wouldn't want that to go into your spool valve which could clog and not allow pressure to bleed off. I don't want to get into more than that as I don't know for certain and don't want to steer you wrong, as to what exactly that would do. I filled up the other day and got 15 mpg including quite a bit of 4x4 driving and idling, I am expecting this fpr helped as initial fill was 12 with hubs locked, second was 13.48, hubs unlocked fpr cleaned (lots of 20+psi boost testing though), last was just general driving and some hubs locked (perhaps I didn't fill it full also, but I know 15 is a pretty good number for these trucks.

So my opinion, check out those parts I listed and install that screen. In the future its 15 minutes of work your first time, and then 5-7 minutes after you figure it out and don't drop the screen in the valley as I did twice.

IH built these motors with an FPR screen for a reason.

post #25 of 142 Old 12-17-2011, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mototime2000 View Post
Best mod yet! Well I guess its not really a mod, just a fix, but wow. Mine had, no joking, an 1/8th inch of black "stuff" on it. I blasted it with brake clean and reinstalled it. It idles much better now. I haven't driven it yet but I can assure you it has to run better. Free revs clean and smooth now. Under an hour including working at 7am with it being 30 degrees out. Cold started much better. I can't express what kind of difference it made. 190K, never cleaned.
Glad to see that I am giving back a little bit here. I've been doing a lot of taking and I'm not a mech (hell still don't know for sure how to do drum brakes. I'm assuming they aren't hard, but they work good now and don't want to mess anything up.) But, I research a lot and try stuff out so if it helped just one person it made my pics and information scouring worth it. I noted the same benefits, and perhaps mpg of 5+ mpg increase too, although hubs l v ul, boost testing, and not filling tank full although it shows full are culprits. This last time I did use 4x4 a lot and my first fill prior to fpr clean was 12 with hubs locked no 4x4, I then noticed surging so I cleaned my fpr and left hubs locked got 13.48 with many 20+ boost runs, this last time I got 15 mpg, with quite a bit of idling, and some good 4x4 driving.

post #26 of 142 Old 12-17-2011, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

ETA:
Something I have heard that works great, is to fill your fuel filter bowl with seafoam as well as your tanks. I've not done this, except for a strong dose in my tanks, but I am meaning to try it with the gallon of seafoam I got (funny thing is gallon pricing is supposed to reduce it per pint, well after I ran the math I paid like $8 per pint which is the same as buying them indiivudally, was a bit mad about that.)
I didn't have any smoke with my seafoam but I am going to try the fuel filter too as people don't like to maintain a diesel for some reason.

Note: Do not, ever use Seafoam or really any engine cleaner in your crankcase aka oil fill hole. This is more than likely bad news and I do not reccomend it, if you try it I have no liability.

post #27 of 142 Old 12-18-2011, 02:36 PM

lost mine in the valley when i tried to do it. the part nu,bers help a ton, but where should i look for a new one? or will it hurt anything to run the truck without it?

-Conner

1997 F-250 Long Bed Extended Cab
--7.3 Powerstroke E40D Auto
--4.10 Rear End
--280,000 Miles

-Napa 6637 DIY CAI
-3 inch DP, 5 inch under truck, 6 inch Mitre!!

-2nd gen Wicked Wheel from Dieselsite
-Tony Wildman 6 Position Chip
Broke College Kid Mod

Now residing in LARAMIE, WY for school at the University of Wyoming! Hit me up if youre around, I'm always down for a hot rodding adventure

"Never cut what you can untie"
--Buckaroo Proverb
post #28 of 142 Old 12-19-2011, 11:51 AM

bump to top

-Conner

--4.10 Rear End
--280,000 Miles

-Napa 6637 DIY CAI

Broke College Kid Mod

Now residing in LARAMIE, WY for school at the University of Wyoming! Hit me up if youre around, I'm always down for a hot rodding adventure

--Buckaroo Proverb
post #29 of 142 Old 12-19-2011, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red '97 View Post
lost mine in the valley when i tried to do it. the part nu,bers help a ton, but where should i look for a new one? or will it hurt anything to run the truck without it?
Just search the part numbers I gave you. Also check with Tousley ford online(tousleyfordparts.com) , and search for "eds ford parts" www.partsguyed.com. Those are pretty cheap for Ford factory parts.

It could perhaps result in the spool valve in your fpr getting clogged (if the stuff found on the screen is any indicator as to what flows in that system). Which could result in too much or not enough pressure in your cylinder heads. I'd personally replace it.

post #30 of 142 Old 12-20-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovemeister View Post
Just search the part numbers I gave you. Also check with Tousley ford online(tousleyfordparts.com) , and search for "eds ford parts" www.partsguyed.com. Those are pretty cheap for Ford factory parts.

It could perhaps result in the spool valve in your fpr getting clogged (if the stuff found on the screen is any indicator as to what flows in that system). Which could result in too much or not enough pressure in your cylinder heads. I'd personally replace it.
ok then ill replace it, thanks for the help!

-Conner

--4.10 Rear End
--280,000 Miles

-Napa 6637 DIY CAI

Broke College Kid Mod

--Buckaroo Proverb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode