Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Electrical Prob....Windows

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  TexasR.N. 
#1 ·
Howdy all,
This may be long winded but I want to give as much info as I can.
Last week I replaced the plastic gears in my passenger rear window. No probs, got it back together but I noticed that when I pushed the switch on the drivers side door I had to jiggle the switch a bit to get it to go up. No problems since then, all four windows go up and come down fine. Then yesterday it started raining and I had to roll my windows up. Only 3 were down and I pressed the three switches at the same time. All windows went up and then nothing.......stuck 1/2 way up.
I assumed that I had tripped the 20A Circuit breaker (#14 under the dash) and replaced it when the rain had stopped. Windows still didn't go up. I did a continuity test on the new and old circuit breakers both rang out fine. Next I checked power to the switches and door locks (which still work) 12.38 volts. I then proceed to check all of the fuses and circuit breakers, under the dash and under the hood. All showed (tested) good. (I am using a pretty decent Ideal voltmeter not a $5.00 tool bin special.)
I then jumpered from the hot to the portion of the switch which raises the rear window. Nothing. I had my wife use the switch on the rear passenger door while I jumpered the hot to the other side of the switch. I then completely disassembled the switch, cleaned the contacts inside it, and tried again. Still nothing. I had to quit because we have a storm headed this way and I don't know what else to do.
Is there a relay somewhere that I might have fried? Could I have torched all of the window motors by having 3 go up at once? There is no fried electrical odor in the truck, and the drivers side switch doesn't smell nor does it have scorch marks. The windows are still down but the truck is covered up with a tarp and besides it is still gutted on the inside, so no concerns about ruining the interior.
As always thanks in advance and HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all you who are Pop's.
See ya',
Craig

See less See more
#2 ·
if you have 12v into the switch, it has to be a switch or ground or wiring problem from the switch to the motor....you have power in, which then runs 12v one way through the motor and to ground for up, and the other way through the motor for gound. did you check for power on the passanger switch?? there should be no relay for that system, just fueses........

#4 ·
Welcome to Powerstroke.org Craig! I assume by your screen name that you're in Texas? :)

#6 ·
Yup,
I am residing here in the great nation of the Republic of Texas!!!! Just kidding about that, I love Texas but don't go off on that seperation stuff.
Thanks, for the friendly welcome and I will be checking for a ground problem here in a little bit. Can't believe I over looked that simple possibility.
See ya',
Craig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.