built E4OD vs zf5 with good clutch?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 04:37 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
built E4OD vs zf5 with good clutch??

well im stuck i cant make my mind up, right now i have a 97 F350 4x4 auto with a BTS VB shifts nice n firm, but i was thinking about gettin it built with Suncoast xtreme rebuild, 6L TC n the bts VB, but that can get pricey i could most likely find a parts truck with a ZF5 swap it in sell the truck off an buy a good clutch n still be cheaper then building the E4OD.

So my question is whats the better option to do???

I do occasionally tow about 8000 pounds to go offroadin, n just commute to work. another thing thats a factor is im getting a set of 38" michilen XLs so i was thinking a 5spd would suit me better for gettin those tires moving especially when towing, i do have 4.10 gears which suck with the auto because it screams going down the highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Banned

As far as durability, fastest shifting, and longevity while doing hard work, I think a fully built auto would be the way to go. They are extremely built, hold boost longer, drop less boost under shifting, etc, than a 5spd. Plus a fully built auto is much tougher than a clutch-only 5spd.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:19 PM

see id like a BTS tranny but theres just not a chance in hell im paying close to 5gs for one, the one reason i hate auto is cuz i think mines on the way out so it bugs me how it acts, an the hole 4 spd screamin the rpms on the highway just to keep up with traffc. i have 4.10 gears an 35s my rpms are about 2300 at 110 115 KPH, an once i go with stg 1 n oil pump, an 38s i doubt my tranny will last nor would i think it would last if i built it up. With a 5spd an a good clutch it would be easier to get the 38s goin while in town n towing.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I disagree, but that is just my opinion. A auto would be a better choice. With a few select mods in the E4OD it is a very reliable tranny. You don't need to go full blown Suncoast to make it last. If your worried about screaming down the highway, then I would look at new rear end gears. You have plenty of motor to get 38's spinning right now.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:08 PM

ya, well i was just gonna go with the CT 6l mod torque converter an a suncoast rebuild kit, i guess its just cuz this is the first auto ive ownd an im used to being about to choose wat gear im in and when i want to shift. im not gonna change out the gears in the diffs cuz its 4x4 so be a fair bit to get that done. What i dont want is to spend 2gs to get it built with those parts just to find out i still dont really like the feel of it, but i guess its easier to go that route then go buy a whole parts truck n spend weeks or so swaping everything over.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:15 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Swapping gears would be easier then converting to a hand shaker
Old 11-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
From what i can remember the gear ratios between the ZF and E4 are identical, maybe just a wee bit different. The only real thing you'd gain by going to a 5 speed is a super low 1st gear that is pretty much useless for day-to-day driving, and they are more efficient so there isn't as much of a power loss to the wheels. If you want it to shift when you want it to you can either get a chip and have the tuner set the shift points to be what you want, or get a PCS(about $800) and make a push button shifter.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDDING View Post
see id like a BTS tranny but theres just not a chance in hell im paying close to 5gs for one, the one reason i hate auto is cuz i think mines on the way out so it bugs me how it acts, an the hole 4 spd screamin the rpms on the highway just to keep up with traffc. i have 4.10 gears an 35s my rpms are about 2300 at 110 115 KPH, an once i go with stg 1 n oil pump, an 38s i doubt my tranny will last nor would i think it would last if i built it up. With a 5spd an a good clutch it would be easier to get the 38s goin while in town n towing.
You dont need bts. And you dont need to spend even half of 5grand to have a beefy auto. All you need for a near bullet proof e4od is a tc, vb or shift kit, and tranny cooler. I went to a local trans shop (not bts or suncoast or any of the other big tranny builders) and they were gonna install a steel tc and a modified valve body, AND steel-gears (which aren't even needed unless you have mega-power), for like $1500 I think it was. Or maybe it was $2100. Either way, it was very fair. A tranny cooler is like 50-100$ also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashotah7 View Post
I disagree, but that is just my opinion. A auto would be a better choice. With a few select mods in the E4OD it is a very reliable tranny. You don't need to go full blown Suncoast to make it last. If your worried about screaming down the highway, then I would look at new rear end gears. You have plenty of motor to get 38's spinning right now.
Yep
Old 11-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

with 4.10 and 38s.... what rpm are ytou pushin down the highway. you should be right around a 3.55. i would go with the ZF5 but thats me. when mine goes im goin 6 speed, pretty much just because. really no advantage over the 5 speed because first and last gear ratios are bout the same.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Premium Member

Don't look at me as expertise but I rather change a clutch out than pay to have auto transmission rebuilt. Anyone drive one of these in the mountains if so you still think auto is better when pulling a load?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.