Need advice on starting after new fuel pump and bowl rebuild - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 04:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need advice on starting after new fuel pump and bowl rebuild

What i have: 94.5 7.3l powerstroke that was starting / running OK, but leaked

what i did: bought fuel bowl kit from diesel orings and removed and 'rebuilt' fuel bowl. Also bought new fuel pump. NOTE: i had a really bad time getting banjo bolt resinstalled and in frustration let my truck sit for several weeks before finally getting it all put back together yesterday.

I filled bowl up with fuel, tried to start, and found my batteries were extremely low. Tried jump starting (yesterday) and did get it to fire up for about 3 seconds, but other than that it does not fire. Charged batteries over night (they are good batteries). This morning i opened up fuel bowl again to make sure it was/is full of fuel, it is. Tried to start it and it did not fire at all in 3 or 4 attempts. Temp is low 50's.

What I need: looking for advice on starting after these repairs, trouble shooting, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 05:42 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How long did you let it crank? I haven't replaced the fuel pump yet but when i swapped injectors it took 10-15 minutes of on and off cranking before it fired, and prolly 5-10 minutes when i pulled the fuel bowl and installed the HPOP.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:47 AM

probably 10 seconds per try. waiting 20+ seconds in between. 4-5 trys then let it sit a bit and come back a while later and try again. Was surprised today how quickly i can tell batteries are draining (after being on charger all night). Batteries are 11 months old.

I was so encourages last night when it fired up for a few seconds, figured it was going to be easy this morning. xf#@! I am starting to really resent this truck!
Old 11-06-2011, 08:02 AM

Wait-To-Start light coming on? Are you getting a Check Engine Light? Make sure that the IPR connector is fully connected. Possibly do a good inspection of the fuel bowl wiring harness as leaking fuel can do a number on it (fuel turns the wiring insulation to goo causing shorts and stuff). Cheers!
Old 11-06-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
Wait-To-Start light coming on? Are you getting a Check Engine Light? Make sure that the IPR connector is fully connected. Possibly do a good inspection of the fuel bowl wiring harness as leaking fuel can do a number on it (fuel turns the wiring insulation to goo causing shorts and stuff). Cheers!
WTS light is coming on, yes.

NO, CEL not coming on.

I am noticing that my voltage meter (the battery gauge on dash) is dropping way off at same time as a small 'click' is heard approx 3 seconds after turning key on (but before turning to start). Although I'm not convinced it will solve all my problems, I think that I may have had a bad ground connection on the driver side battery, so I don't think I was pulling full power, nor getting a good charge from the charger.

I went back and double checked all of the wiring connection and 'think' that are good.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:16 AM

You will not get a CEL if the IPR is not plugged in.

Check the IPR plug. If it isn't plugged in, the truck will not fire.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonesjr View Post
You will not get a CEL if the IPR is not plugged in.

Check the IPR plug. If it isn't plugged in, the truck will not fire.
i double checked the wire connections. also, as mentioned it fired up last night for a few seconds, so that would also make me believe IPR was/is plugged in. right?
Old 11-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Winning DUHHH

Well, the click and draw your hearing is the glow plug relay firing up the glow plugs
Old 11-08-2011, 05:42 AM

When I ran my truck outa diesel it would not start at all (10+ minutes of on and off cranking). I found out that if u refill the fuel bowl after ever attempt and hold the petal to the floor it will start in a few try's...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 11-10-2011, 06:54 AM

Well I rebuilt my fuel bowl I just filled the bowl with ATF and it started right up like it was never apart and ran great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.