Need Help...weird transmission problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Help...weird transmission problem

So my OD was stuck in the 'off' position (button lit up). Some guys here helped me narrow my problem down to the OD solenoid. Today, I changed out the solenoid pack in the transmission. I also recently changed the speed sensor on the top of the rear pumpkin. I checked the OD button on the shifter with my meter and it works. After all was said and done, the OD was still stuck in the 'off' position....no 4th gear still. The guy in the shop next to me plugged the Snap-On scanner in to check for codes and got nothing.

This is the part I cannot figure out:
I learned that if I take out fuse #17 while the truck is running, then hold the OD button and put the fuse back in, the OD light goes out on the shifter lever, but the ABS light comes on the dashboard. On the way home I pulled over and did this and realized the truck shifted into OD. I drove on the highway with no problems.

The transmission feels like it shifts fine, it shifted into OD a little earlier than I was used to, but i figured with the new fluid and solenoid pack, that might be the normal way it shifts. It shifted smooth and nice.

Obviously I don't want to do this every time I have to drive on the highway and don't want the ABS light to stay on.

Is it wiring or something else?

Can anyone help me out? Maybe it's simple and I'm just having a brain fart. I was a diesel mechanic in the Military and realized it's the simple, but hidden stuff that is always the problem.

fuse #17 (warning buzzer, chime module, warning indicators, gauges, tachometer, electronic transmission)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Serving Our Country!

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

wow..... im way stumped. lol
Old 11-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Serving Our Country!

So I did some wire chasing with my multi-meter and everything checked out just fine. I stopped at a local transmission shop to get their input and they basically told me that I need to rebuild my transmission because it is probably an internal problem. For some reason I don't buy that simply because my trans feels fine when I do the trick with the fuse. Its just that the ABS light comes on.

Could it be an ABS sensor is bad or something so it is telling the truck not to shift into OD?

I'm out of ideas so I'll just keep asking around here until I figure this damn truck out.

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2011, 12:13 PM

Just throwing out an idea about your problem,I have read many posts where brake lamps malfunctions will cause OD to disengage.When these trannys are working properly,one touch of the brake pedal will automatically disengage the lock up of the convertor.It's been noted burnt bulbs,shorted brake lamp wire, and even added on LED lamps can cause the convertor to disengage
Old 11-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Serving Our Country!

I read about that as well, but I checked my brake lights and they work just fine. I've never even had a problem with them. The only light that does not work is one of my license plate lights, but do you think that would even cause it. It didnt work before I had this problem either. My truck does have strobes and an LED bar and LED work lights, but again, this problem is fairly recent and those other lights run to a separate switch box which has nothing to do with the other wiring in the truck. From the time I fire up the truck, the button is lit up and wont go out. I'll check that LP light and the brakes and pedal to see if I can find anything. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any updates on this problem? I've got an intermittent ABS light and screwy Speedo activity too. I see you brought up the busted license light. I also have one out. Going try to replace it.
I haven't looked into the VSS, yet.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:49 AM

This may not be relevant but my transmission had some erratic behavior issues which turned out to be a combination of a crappy tune (diablotek chip) and multiple broken ground straps from body to frame.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Serving Our Country!

Well I found out that I can hot wire the gear lever by using a test light without the OD button in and jumping the terminals. Last night while driving the switch started going off and on, but due to a loose connection. I am going to change out the lever and hopefully it fixes the problem. If not, I pretty much have to chase a wire between the end of the lever and the fuse box. its the only part that didn't oHm out correctly. Granted the gear lever tested fine, but I think it may be the problem.....I hope so. I've been working on this truck almost every weekend which sucks, but the truck only needs to get me from school to home, which I never go on the highway for so having the truck out of overdrive is beneficial to me, also a reason why I am lazy with the issue. It still runs like a champ.

In your case, check the speed sensor on the top of the rear pumpkin. Its a simple and cheap swap, plus, my truck responded better when I changed mine. I haven't changed that license light out, but I honestly do not think it is the problem....however I should do that haha
Old 12-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You guys have a recommended source for the VSS part - other than my local Ford dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.