Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Injector removal kicking my...

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  alberta 7.3 
#1 ·
Found a '94 stroker down in the junkyard today... thing has practically dissolved into rust. If anyone needs something, unlike the last truck that turned out to be an IDI, let me know. The ZF5 has already been removed (guy was taking it out while I was getting valve covers off), Borg Warner transfer case still there. It's a dually dump body setup, but there isn't a complete set of wheels, and the Dana 60 has already been torched out of it (I'm amazed at how quick they go). Turbo has been yanked, interior is pretty rough, and someone torched the side mirror frames off the door. Things I know are still there: fuel bowl, HPOP and reservoir, radiator, water pump, alternator, bottom can of the air filter, stock downpipe, AC compressor and lines, P/S pump, dual mass flywheel (haven't checked it for rattle) and clutch exposed, fairly new looking starter.

I took the passenger side valve cover off, and was able to get the front two injectors out, but golly... the third one back was just not having it. I was using a small 16" pry-bar under the injector collet after removing the bottom 8mm nut and sliding it up... and the bar was bending so much if I went any further I was afraid of losing a few square inches of skin on my delicate girl hands.

Is there a trick to this other than doing what I intend to do tomorrow and just take down my big summitch bar and give it the ol' persuasion with a dose of profanity?

See less See more
#6 ·
Took a 4-foot crow bar with a nice beveled end... effortlessly lifted each injector under the collet plate thing (whatever that component is called).

I checked the dual mass flywheel... no movement at all, so I imagine the springs are still good to go. Found the turbo on the floorboard of the truck... the Balkan guy who was there removing the trans must have pulled it to get better access to the top trans bolts. Compressor blades and turbine blades both look good, turns smooth, NO in-out play on the shaft. Lemme know if ya'll need anything as I'll be back down there this weekend to grab a nearly perfect convertible top for my mom's leaking car.

#8 ·
Yeah, for $7.50 each + $1.50 core each + environmental fee + sales tax all coming to about $10.25 a piece I couldn't refuse to have a good set of cores to send out for rebuild.

The rookie who was ringing me out wanted to "ask someone about those" because he's never rung up injectors out of a powerstroke before (never seen an injector that big). I stopped him and said "no, comeon now, your price sheet has ONE price for injectors, it doesn't have a price for gas and a price for diesel... and every time I've bought the small Bosch units that go into my diesel Benz, you guys ring them up as a regular injector."

"Uhhhh... Ok... that'll be..." Hehehe... whew that was close :D

That manager would have given me a price off the top of his head, and I'm pretty sure it would have been $50 or more each.

#9 ·
I walked to the till with a 5 gallon bucket holding 8 injectors. The guy was thinking they were distributors. :hehe:

I had to explain that they were fuel injectors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.