Injector removal kicking my... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injector removal kicking my...

Found a '94 stroker down in the junkyard today... thing has practically dissolved into rust. If anyone needs something, unlike the last truck that turned out to be an IDI, let me know. The ZF5 has already been removed (guy was taking it out while I was getting valve covers off), Borg Warner transfer case still there. It's a dually dump body setup, but there isn't a complete set of wheels, and the Dana 60 has already been torched out of it (I'm amazed at how quick they go). Turbo has been yanked, interior is pretty rough, and someone torched the side mirror frames off the door. Things I know are still there: fuel bowl, HPOP and reservoir, radiator, water pump, alternator, bottom can of the air filter, stock downpipe, AC compressor and lines, P/S pump, dual mass flywheel (haven't checked it for rattle) and clutch exposed, fairly new looking starter.

I took the passenger side valve cover off, and was able to get the front two injectors out, but golly... the third one back was just not having it. I was using a small 16" pry-bar under the injector collet after removing the bottom 8mm nut and sliding it up... and the bar was bending so much if I went any further I was afraid of losing a few square inches of skin on my delicate girl hands.

Is there a trick to this other than doing what I intend to do tomorrow and just take down my big summitch bar and give it the ol' persuasion with a dose of profanity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 06:37 PM

Pry at the top and bottom of the coller against the heads and bump it a little if it wont come out before u pry on it
Old 11-02-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmoke powerstroke View Post
Pry at the top and bottom of the coller against the heads and bump it a little if it wont come out before u pry on it
Hehe, I swear that's what I was doing, and rather than that thing letting loose, I resorted to cussing and pretty sure looking like a monkey f*cking a football.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekfinn View Post
...looking like a monkey f*cking a football.

If you cut/remove the plastic fender liner, you can get in there with a crowbar to lift up the injector hold-down plate.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:21 PM

I used a prybar that looks like a big screwdriver with a bent tip. Theyre cheap and work wonder took like 10 mins to take out all 8g first time
Old 11-03-2011, 09:23 AM

Took a 4-foot crow bar with a nice beveled end... effortlessly lifted each injector under the collet plate thing (whatever that component is called).

I checked the dual mass flywheel... no movement at all, so I imagine the springs are still good to go. Found the turbo on the floorboard of the truck... the Balkan guy who was there removing the trans must have pulled it to get better access to the top trans bolts. Compressor blades and turbine blades both look good, turns smooth, NO in-out play on the shaft. Lemme know if ya'll need anything as I'll be back down there this weekend to grab a nearly perfect convertible top for my mom's leaking car.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:28 AM

So u got the injectors?
Old 11-04-2011, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmoke powerstroke View Post
So u got the injectors?
Yeah, for $7.50 each + $1.50 core each + environmental fee + sales tax all coming to about $10.25 a piece I couldn't refuse to have a good set of cores to send out for rebuild.

The rookie who was ringing me out wanted to "ask someone about those" because he's never rung up injectors out of a powerstroke before (never seen an injector that big). I stopped him and said "no, comeon now, your price sheet has ONE price for injectors, it doesn't have a price for gas and a price for diesel... and every time I've bought the small Bosch units that go into my diesel Benz, you guys ring them up as a regular injector."

"Uhhhh... Ok... that'll be..." Hehehe... whew that was close

That manager would have given me a price off the top of his head, and I'm pretty sure it would have been $50 or more each.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I walked to the till with a 5 gallon bucket holding 8 injectors. The guy was thinking they were distributors.

I had to explain that they were fuel injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.