starter turns slow - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
starter turns slow

i always thought my truck cranked over really slow but i drove another truck today and it cranked like lightning compared to my truck. i have 2 brand new batterys (napa 800cca 925ca) bought in (i think) march or april. i know my positive terminal on the second battery (passenger) is trashed. im gonna fix it with some eyelets and marine terminals. just wondering if you think this is my whole problem or if i have something else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

thats part of it im sure, you may also have a weak starter. that happens as well.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

time for a new starter... pull an amp draw while cranking to be sure, anything over 400 is bad
Old 11-01-2011, 03:35 PM

Batteries are a little out of their league; should be at least 850CCA. That, plus the passenger battery terminal, == weak crank. Fix it ASAP before it over-burdens the starter.

BTW, there is no "first" or "second" battery; they work in parallel. If anything, the passenger-side one is the more critical, since it's "closer" to the loads. Dunno if that means it gets more than its share of the burden on starting, GP cycle, etc.; it'd be an interesting study. Annual swap would mitigate it, I suppose...
Old 11-01-2011, 06:26 PM

800 cca batteries are fine, but 850's are better for sure.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Batteries are a little out of their league; should be at least 850CCA. That, plus the passenger battery terminal, == weak crank. Fix it ASAP before it over-burdens the starter.

BTW, there is no "first" or "second" battery; they work in parallel. If anything, the passenger-side one is the more critical, since it's "closer" to the loads. Dunno if that means it gets more than its share of the burden on starting, GP cycle, etc.; it'd be an interesting study. Annual swap would mitigate it, I suppose...
Absolutely. Even though the cable to the driver side battery is another 6' or so, at higher current levels (cranking) it does create a voltage drop. If you were to boost a truck with low/dead batteries, the starter will roll over faster when the jumper cables are connected to the passenger battery.

That busted positive terminal is a disaster waiting to happen. Bad connections create heat due to resistance. That could heat the post enough to melt the battery top plastic.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:12 PM

My truck will cycle the plugs and start on one battery. I dont see how much of a difference 100 cca between two batteries makes. Im not picking on anyone, im just saying. I do agree that the positive cable is causing issues......
Old 11-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've had Napa Batteries.... never again. My 95 started slow w/Napa's. I went to yellow top Duralast and way better, night and day. Your starter may also be going out and drawing extra amps too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.