Bi Polar Tranny, Please Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Robby

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bi Polar Tranny, Please Help

Alright, I don't mind everyone chiming in but please, if you're going to put in a reply, read the whole section so you know ALL the symptoms.

This all started a while back, I was hauling a load through New York when my truck broke down. Long story short, I ran the tranny dry. A small pin hole in my secondary cooler had opened up and dripped fluid the whole trip til I was left with nothing. Got her all patched up and brought her back home.

Fast forward a few months, my O/D light is now flashing. I can't think of a real reason for this. The tranny has also taken on shifting hard into second and over heating a bit. I decided she's been thoroughly abused and flush her out and replace the filter. The O/D light went off for a week then came back.

Fast forward another few months. This is where the "bi-polar" part comes in. Lets say the tranny has two "states." Keeping this simple, one is 'flashing' (when the O/D light is flashing) and the other is blank (when the light is not flashing). When the light is flashing, the tranny acts horribly. It shifts hard into second and third. Drags out the gears and hates shifting. When shifting into reverse, there is a pause then it slams into gear.

So that's when the lights flashing. When it's off, the tranny acts brand new. It shifts smoothly into every gear. Shifts at the proper RPMs. Shifts smoothly into reverse. Pretty much the opposite of everything when its flashing. However, naturally it does spend more time flashing than not.

Now the bi polar part is because there is NO factor deciding whether or not its flashing. One day I might get in it and it will flash, the next it might not. It might flash for a day then stop while I'm driving. Or visa versa.

Ive been troubleshooting this forever now. Winter is almost here. I can't have my tranny going on me in the middle of the winter. I need to find the problem or failing that, replace the tranny. The problem is, I don't think the tranny is wrong. My thought process is, if it is capable of shifting smoothly and on time, then its not a mechanical problem. I do have a Banks TransCommand installed on the truck (its been there since I got it). I'm wondering if its malfunctioning somehow. I don't know much about them. However from what I know about trannys, it seems like the tranny is over pressurizing its self. At this point I'm going to bypass it and see if it helps but I'm open to all suggestions at this point. Thanks for the help guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 03:49 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
IDK much about trannys, but I would start with locating a good code reader and see whats popping up. Flashing O/D means there is a code.

And how hard is it to remove the Banks TC? Wouldn't hurt to remove it and see if that clears it up, if nothing else eliminate it as a cause.

Good luck.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:04 AM
Robby

That's where Im going to start once Iget the chance. Also someone told me you can't read OD codes through the OBDII system.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:13 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPurdy View Post
That's where Im going to start once Iget the chance. Also someone told me you can't read OD codes through the OBDII system.
You need a good scanner. My AE will read them just fine... but it aint cheap. The generic OBDII scanners don't generally work on them.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Robby

Ok so bypassed the TransCommand and no luck. Any ideas where to even go from here?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). When it has a trouble code related to the transmission it usually commands full line pressure to try to protect the transmission from damage. Normally this is caused by a transmission slip code. Have your computer scanned to see what transmission codes are stored. If it is a torque converter slip code keep in mind it could be stored from converter clutch slippage, or slippage in another transmission clutch pack.

Basically all that tells us, is that your tranny has been slipping, or slipped, or, you have some crap in the pressure transducer from when the tranny ran out of oil. That can cause a LOT of havoc in there, in very short order.

Get the codes read, if there is nothing leaping out at you, pull the pan off, and check for debris. It could be something as simple as a spool hanging up in the valve body. Or it could be as major as needing a rebuild. It really depends how long it ran dry, and how hot it got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.