Short Distance Cold Driving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Short Distance Cold Driving

I was wondering if anyone knew if it's hard on the 7.3's to take multiple short trips (about 1 mile up and down hills) in the cold 2 or more times a day or if I'm just being paranoid. My concern is the fact that the truck would rarely have time to reach operating temperature before being shut off and sitting. This could cause excess condensation build up in the engine but these engines have such large oil capacities I would think it would go unnoticed. It's not too cold yet (in the 40's) but winter temps in Michigans Upper Peninsula usually sit around 0 to 10 F. Also is there anything I can do to my truck besides plugging it in that would make it easier on it, such as synthetic oil? Any input on this subject would be great. I have not been driving it because of this concern and would like to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I drive roughly 4 miles each way to work. My biggest issue is keeping the batteries charged.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

put some synthetic (rotella 5w40) in for sure. Also don't just start go and shut off. Give it some nice warmup time and maybe get a high idle kit. You could also try getting one of those front grille covers. I'm thinking of getting once since my commute is about 2 miles and on the way home it's all downhill.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerider09 View Post
I was wondering if anyone knew if it's hard on the 7.3's to take multiple short trips (about 1 mile up and down hills) in the cold 2 or more times a day or if I'm just being paranoid. My concern is the fact that the truck would rarely have time to reach operating temperature before being shut off and sitting. This could cause excess condensation build up in the engine but these engines have such large oil capacities I would think it would go unnoticed. It's not too cold yet (in the 40's) but winter temps in Michigans Upper Peninsula usually sit around 0 to 10 F. Also is there anything I can do to my truck besides plugging it in that would make it easier on it, such as synthetic oil? Any input on this subject would be great. I have not been driving it because of this concern and would like to.
Umm warm it up... I start my truck up 15min early everyday no matter what day or season it is...
Old 10-26-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKED_NY_023 View Post
Umm warm it up... I start my truck up 15min early everyday no matter what day or season it is...
personally I think it's a waste to warm up more than 5 min in the summer... granted I won't go punching it right away either. On the other hand I don't think 15 minutes is enough if it's cold out and only a quick trip
Old 10-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Banned

I sit in my truck, start it, put my seat belt, situate myself, and drive very slowly and gently the first few miles. These trucks just dont like to warm up by sitting there (all diesels, actually..). They will warm up quickly if driven.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrojo63 View Post
personally I think it's a waste to warm up more than 5 min in the summer... granted I won't go punching it right away either. On the other hand I don't think 15 minutes is enough if it's cold out and only a quick trip
In the winter I plug in everynight and let her warm up atleast 20mins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
I sit in my truck, start it, put my seat belt, situate myself, and drive very slowly and gently the first few miles. These trucks just dont like to warm up by sitting there (all diesels, actually..). They will warm up quickly if driven.
NOT a good idea in our cold upstate winters, inj like nice hot oil... Any why aren't you a member of the NY Powerstroke chapter yet??
Old 10-26-2011, 09:03 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
This is what I do. Given, if its below 30 out I'll give it a few minuites to warm up with my high idle. Theirs not much point to let it sit for 15 min, especially in the summer. The engine dosen't care if its sitting in the driveway or going down the road, as long as your easy on it for a few miles.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:21 PM

More than a few minutes is overkill in the winter, and more than a minute or so is overkill in the summer. But short trips are still rough. You don't need to fully warm it up every trip or every day, but once every several days, just take a scenic route and drive it 'til it fully warms up.

When you plug it in, use a timer. It only needs about 3 hours. Anything more than that isn't useful, and costs you about 15 cents an hour, more or less, depending on your local rate. It draws right about 1000 watts, so look up the per kWh rate on your bill, and that's how much it costs to run per hour.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:05 PM

High idle is awesome for warming up. Here in GA, if I crank up and oil temp is 30, let it idle for about a minute, kick it in high idle and let it run for 10 minutes it'll be near 100* oil temp, I don't drive mine til oil temp is about 75 or above. That number isn't really based on anything, just a number I feel like is warm enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.