Gertrude's story/build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Gertrude
Gertrude's story/build

First, I know this is a long post, but please take 15 min to read this amazing story.

Finally after two years of patiently waiting, hoping, and dreaming, I spotted "my truck" on my way to work about two months ago. I nearly crashed as I was stunned in shock and awe, at what I just saw with my own two eyes. It was GERTRUDE!!!! back from whatever hellhole that was keeping her hostage. Ironically, I saw it right as I left my best friends (Pedro) car lot to head to work, it was driving down the street, I quickly busted a u-turn and sped off in pursuit of my firstborn(lol). It turns out that the guy driving it was a car salesmen who was literally around the corner from my friends car lot.

After believing that it was gone forever I couldn't believe that my first car was that freaking close to me and I knew it must be mine. The car salesmen actually just purchased it from a bank like two days before I saw it. So I gathered some money together to make the purchase.

-Ok, to venture off track real quick to tell you how I got this truck, I bought the truck on Mar 3, 2009 at a car auction in Louisville, Ky(I'm from Evansville, IN) for $4500, a tree had fallen on it and smashed the cab and right door. I was in Louisiana when I bought it, (I was only 17 in my junior year of HS, and had no job), and my mother had wired my friend (Pedro, mentioned above) the money to buy it. About a month later on my spring break (Apr. 2009) I went up to Indiana to work on it I had to replace the roof, right door, windshield, and int. pieces, it also needed some engine work.

So I bought it batteries, and changed every fluid, by then I had become a member of this site which helped me fix all the little bugs it had. Unfortunately, I couldn't bring the truck back with me because it was not street worthy just yet and had to be inspected by the dmv, since it had a salvage title, it needed to be deemed road worthy and safe. So once my summer break came I spent the entire summer working on it so I could bring it back to Louisiana with me. Well I finished the truck, but my mother didn't want me to bring it ( to this day she thinks its a POS). So i had to wait another month until it could be brought here. One critical issue that I found with Gertrude was she had a fuel leak, and I was out of money.

By now my senior year (2009-2010), I had my truck down in LA with me, and I was driving it now (still with a fuel leak), and diesel was $4.50 a gal then, which drove my mother to getting rid of this gas guzzler. About a month later (Sept 2009) we moved back to Indiana and my mother had, had the last straw with Gertrude, also it didn't help that it broke a tie-rod while i was parking it. So, mom said, "thats it, it has to go" so I drove to Pedro's Dad's car lot to try and trade it for something else well, I traded it for my Tacoma that I have now, and that was a bigger pos than Gertrude, but it parts were cheaper.

I was deeply sadden that I lost my first car, I told Pedro's dad if he could just sit it off to the side and I would by it back once I got a job. It sat for like a month until Pedro's dad started to fix it. I begged him to just leave it alone, he refused, and had the truck up for sale in no time. I tried to buy it back but he tried to screw me by asking $5500 for it, when all he did was pay $1000 to put a ****ty paint job on it, his worker also cracked my new windshield when they painted it. I said no and some guy paid $5000 cash for my heap. Well it turns out he tried to bring it back saying it had transmission problems. But he signed the "as-is' paper so nothing on Pedro's dad's part was done.

Now I guess this is how the car salesman got the truck, (this is just a guess to the best of my knowledge). I've heard several things about the transmission from Pedro's dad, the car saleman, and his brother, that the trans "looks" like it was rebuilt, but I highly doubt it since there has yet to be any paper work that shows the trans was rebuilt, anyways, my guess is the guy spent to much money on the truck, but I know the truck was repo'ed, maybe he did rebuild the trans, becuase the truck had 194K miles when i bought it, i traded it with 196K miles, and it now has 197.5K so I'm really iffy on the transmission, it also dies sometimes in reverse and in drive. So idk if it has problems or not, because the fuel pump in the engine has been replaced also with no paper work, but when I looked at it, it does look new with new hoses, so I just think the truck needs to be driven since it sat for so long, 2+ yrs with only 1000 miles put on it? I mean it has rat s h i t on the valve covers but it starts first time every time. So some input on this would be appreciated.

Well if you read all of this post, I thank you for your time in advanced, I'm just ecstatic that I got my first vehicle back, you have no clue how happy I am right now, it was one of one goals in life, so I can past it on to my son (once I make one lol)

Also I would like to thank mjonesjr, and Garrett(weareweird69), Congrats on the magazine article!!!!their trucks have been an inspiration for my future build since i think me and them are the only ones on this forum with L.O.G colored trucks that are Ext Cab, LB

Again thanks in advanced for your time and interest in this post
-Andy

Last edited by Gertrude; 10-13-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 12:17 PM

Congrats!
Old 10-10-2011, 12:23 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Gertrude
thanks man
Old 10-10-2011, 12:34 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
that's quite the story Andy. glad you're back in a PSD
Old 10-10-2011, 01:00 PM

Long but good story! i myself graduated in 2010 and my first car was a pos 99 vw beetle ! Hated it But got it wen i was 16 for my bday and my parents paid $800 and i sold it for $3000. Bought my uncles 00 f350 psd 4x4 for $3000 but it needed so much work and injector cups started to leak and i traded it for my 97 ex cab 4x4 with an extra 7.3 and i love it! My mom hates it because ive spent about $4000 on it since i bought it and she sais ( all the money u put in that thing u could have a new truck) all the time but she cant seem to understand that i dont want a newer truck i want what i have now and i enjoy working on it so i completely understand where ur comming from
Old 10-10-2011, 01:14 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

Congrats on gettin her back! I know how it feels to sell something your first vehicle and then be kicking yourself... My first truck was a '90 suburban that was in great shape. I put a lift on it, new rims and tires, a nice sound system, a custom bull bar and all kinds of little stuff. I loved it, but one day I got the itch for a truck bed, so I sold it. I started kicking myself for selling it as soon as I saw the new owner drive away in it. Still wish I could at least see it again sometimes...

Now that I think about it, I sold it only a few days short a 2 years ago. 10/15/09
Old 10-10-2011, 04:02 PM

I've still got my first car, it's a 79 mustang pace car (can't tell it anymore) it's got a fuel injected 2.3 with a holset hx35 running 20psi, ported head, intake, exhaust, 60lbs injectors, megasquirt stand alone ecu. I've had it for 9 years, my dad bought it for me as a father son project when I was 12 and well that didn't happen. Blew the original carbed turbo motor a year after I started driving it (17) and when I was 18 I started the transformation on it.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:13 PM

keep on strokin buddy. what a good story! haha
Old 10-10-2011, 04:19 PM

Wish I could find my first truck. I got rid of her in 98 after being told that when my lease was up I would have to pay $1500 more than the original price when I started the lease. Wasnt much special just a 96 f150 inline 6 mazda 5 speed 2x reg cab truck but god i loved that truck. Long story short it was the last time I leased anything.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.