Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 powerstroke vs 7.3 IDI

13K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  UNDERCOVER_73 
#1 ·
How are the 7.3 powerstrokes compared to the 7.3 IDI engines? My cousin's friend is selling his 94 with a 7.3 IDI and I can probably get it for about 5 grand. The motor was just completely rebuilt. How do they hold up compared to the powerstrokes if anybody knows? Thanks

#2 ·
No comparison really.
What are you goals with the truck.

If 250HP is all you will ever want and you are afraid of any electronics, the IDI is for you. And having to special order any part you may want, because the newest IDI is 17 years old and they were not that popular even when they were new

If you would like more than 250Hp and better drivability,Going into an auto parts store and them having parts to fix your truck. The powerstroke is the truck for you

#3 ·
The 7.3 idi is a great motor but like already stated is not as powerful and the powerstroke, but banks does make a turbo kit for the truck with says improves fuel enconomy 30% and improves torque like 100 ft lbs so u can make some power, I doubt never as much as a powerstroke but just like the psd the idi is a great motor in 7.3 and 6.9 applacations.

#6 ·
Banks no longer makes the turbo kit for the IDI's (thier were rumors they were coming back, but I doubt it) As of right now the only ones that make a turbo kit are ATS and I believe hypermax still makes kits. The aftermarket has forgotton these motors. :crazy:

#7 ·
i kinda think you should just get a powerstroke if youre gonna spend 5,000

#8 ·
here's a little tid bit of info for everyone. I have a stock 96er w/ 4spd auto 4x4 ext cab LB. a former roommate of mine had a 89 small cab LB 3 spd auto 4x2. he and I decided to race. 0 - 35 he spanked me pretty good, but when my turbo spooled up, i spanked him right back.

#10 ·
Look a little farther, you mite spend less and make up for it in fuel cost to and from, good luck, my first diesel was a 97 psd super cab. One on the trailer

#13 ·
I aggre get a psd, a idi should go for 2500 in perfect condition. Im buying
A running f250 psd for 1000
Sent from my Autoguide Android Diesel App.

#14 ·
Hey gabe where is this running psd for 1k? I paid 3k for my crew cab, and $5700 for the super cab, both in the Sig, and both 97, bout 100k miles difference tho

#15 ·
Its near me, i might
Still be getting it. Another
Diesel buddy is
Looking at it and is
Mostlikey gonna get it this weekend, but
Ill be outta town :/ oh well. It was only a
4x4 and ext
Lb. Oh not to mention 340k miles

#17 ·
There were two IDIs in '94, a normally-aspirated and a turbocharged. The IDI turbo might, if it's SUPER cherry otherwise, and is a 5-speed, never smoked in, etc. etc., MIGHT be worth $5000. NA IDI would never be worth that.

Or, as said, just keep holding out for a PSD. Or look at other IDIs; if they're going for around that asking price, you could buy it, and be ready to sell it when the right PSD comes along.

#18 ·
Hell I hastily bought the super cab 4x2, found my crew cab 4x4 and got rid of the super cab, I'm about to hit 300k I have zero blow by, bone stock aside from the front bumper and some rims n tires. Now its very sweet and I have a whopping $200 invested aside from purchase price.

#20 ·
Those are regular prices and anlittle high, someone else got thw truck so im still hunting.

Are u in sacramento?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.