PowerStroke Purchase - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PowerStroke Purchase

Hello fellow members, I am seeking knowledge and help with the possible purchase of a PowerStroke. I was wanting some guidance on what to look for (or avoid) when I bring the truck to my house to look it over tomorrow.
The truck is a 1996 Ford F-250 super-cab, long bed, 4x4, XLT, cloth interior with a PowerStroke Diesel and auto transmission. I looked at the truck today (a neighbor is selling it) and it cranked fine, no blow-by from the oil stick, no smoke and the body is perfect....no rust (Neveda truck) and the body is straight as a pin. I will try to post pics as soon as I can take themand The only thing that worries me is the 200k miles. Any input will help me alot so feel free to comment.
He is asking $6200 for the truck, but I know if I took $5500 in hundreds, he will take it because he wants to move back to California and is selling everything he has (motorhome, truck, boat, house, etc.) THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 07:35 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sounds like a good deal and you seem to have checked the basics, just drive it around a bit, that mileage isn't very high at all actually, but good luck, what kind of boat does he have and what's he want for it lol, hell I live in so cal
Old 10-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

PowerStroke Purchase

It is about a 18' cruiser, prob a 4 cyl.,,,, I will check.... so there is no engine code or anything to check out? I really app. the advice, can this engine accept a programmer, or should I just leave it stock?
Old 10-07-2011, 08:43 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

It can, especially if it's 97, make sure if it's a Cali model or not, bring a code reader just in case it is throwing one, programmers are fine, but custom tunes are better, good luck
Old 10-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the guy doesnt have any programmers or anyuthing hooked up to the truck.... hes about 70 and just lookin to sell the thing... there is no engine light when I crank and run it. I use to drive a 1999 F-550 bucket truck for a utility company about 4 years ago and it sounds the same as this one/ and it would run 8-10 hours a day when I drove it...... really good truck. Is this the same engine possibly?
Old 10-07-2011, 09:27 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Should be exact same engine, 7.3L t444e international diesel, I think f650 is when a larger engine option comes in on the SD
Old 10-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

sounds like a great deal to me

things i would check:

1. oil leaks, check the hpop ( up top of engine ) check the turbo pedistal orings, check the oil cooler ( driver side of engine ) also check the oil dipstick tube oring (passenger side of oil pan ) those are the most common oil leaks..

2. fuel leaks. let run and see if has a fuel leak anywhere. most common fuel leak is the mechanical fuel pump in the engine valley, and the rubber hoses.

you also could take to a local mechanic and have them check the front end etc. but at that price, you could easily put around $1500 in repairs and still be ok!!

dont let the mileage fool ya. these things run forever. my buddy has an 01 excursion and that thing has like 650k on the motor and almost 300k on second trans.

as far as mods and stuff others can chime in. mine is still stock for now, but keep in mind more horsepower normally means more money and more chances of things breaking. especially that auto trans.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

check the rear exhaust manafold studs for being missing or relpaced expically on pass side. if so the truck has seen HIGH EGT's for a long time due to towing or bad turbo.

look at the front of the truck and look for tire lean, usualy in at the top, that will prolly mean you need new center axle pivit bushings. just a heads up, mady a bargin chip but no deal breaker

feal the trans out and has it been rebuilt?

once its up to operating temp take its through is rpm range very slowly listening for the engine missing, it will give you a hint on the condition if the injectors

and just make sure the oil and fuel filter has been changed regualry
Old 10-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I know I'll prob catch some hell for saying so, but watch powerstrokehelp's youtube series on how to buy a used powerstroke. I think he sums it up pretty well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.