New to me truck...EGT Temps? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to me truck...EGT Temps?

First post, so take it easy please!
Just bought my first Powerstroke....first Ford actually! It's a 97' F250 crewcab shortbed 7.3L with an automatic. I paid $4000 and it has 206k on the clock. He said the trans was rebuilt 3yrs ago and he didn't drive it much?? He decided to sell it because the trans was starting to act up. While test driving i took it to a friend and hooked it to his scanner. It showed a code for the throttle position sensor. He said this could be why the PO thought he was having trans issues. After purchasing, i found two bare wires leading to the trans. I ordered a TPS from Autozone, but it isn't the correct part for my truck(plug is different). It seems to be shifting good now, but TPS has acted up a couple times on me.
Now the EGT guage wasn't working, so i purchased a new one and have it installed. It seems as though everyone says this should be measured pre-turbo, but mine is post-turbo until i have a chance to relocate it. 1. What temp do i need to be trying to stay under??? 2. I have been around semi trucks for awile and the thermocouple is always post-turbo(Why?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Lots of times folks are concerned that if the thermocouple is pre-turbo and breaks it will take out the turbo on its way throu the exhaust. In all the years I've been on PSD forums (mostly lurking starting in 1999 and joined some in 2000), I've yet to hear of anyone sucking a thermocouple pre-turbo. I can't remember too well, but I think it might be something like 1100 post-turbo (I'll have to go back and look). Cheers!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:54 PM

Old 10-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Welcome to the org, and your temps will read rite post turbo, but they won't read accurately as fast as you should know about the temps being to high, it's going to be anywhere between 100-400* off, btw the time the probe tells you the exact temp and when you should start backing off it's rite on time or some cases to late, I've had mine pre and post turbo, but I don't have a high performance motor yet nor am I throwing enough fuel at mine in my opinion, but good luck with your new psd, and don't forget to post piks.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
EGT's are gonna be useless post turbo, and if its not chipped you're not gonna get it hot on stock sticks anyway.. but that being said put it in the manifold, or uppipe, you wanna know what the motors doing not after...

And oh yeah thats odd about the big rigs.. i didnt know.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Banned

As it's already been stated big rigs do it do it post turbo because otherwise there's a good chance of the probe heating up and chucking the motor.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It does have a superchips programmer and i've add the DIY air cleaner and intake. I don't have plans of pulling any heavy trailers, but i will get the probe moved soon! So now can someone tell me for sure what temps i need to stay under? 1100* is a number i've heard back when i was driving with a 3406B model cat. I also was told short periods of up to 1250* would be ok, but not to hold it there for long???
Old 10-10-2011, 05:07 AM
Banned

These motors can handle 1250* all day long. They can handle bursts up to 1500*.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the help! Shouldn't be hard to keep it under 1250* with the way it's setup now. With my 16' gooseneck horse trailer last weekend, it never got up to 900*.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:17 AM

1250 in the manifold. stay at least 300 degrees under that if you are in the downpipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.