Getting Radio Out? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Robby

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Getting Radio Out?

The other day my radio **** the bit on me. It's an aftermarket one so i didnt put it in. I have one to replace it but I just cant figure out how to get the dash piece off around it so I can get to the screws holding in. any help would be appreciated. I'm sure its simple and Im just over looking it. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would take it buy a stereo shop and ask them or Best Buy where they install radios.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What year is your truck? OBS or NBS?

I can only speak for OBS trucks, but IIRC there are no screws holding my dash together, only clips. I very carefully started prying the dash trim up around the glovebox and vents, popping out each clip, until I was able to expose the stereo.

Sorry as I don't have a Haynes manual on hand, I only recall from memory...
Old 10-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Interior Guru

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What type of radio is it?

Screws don't hold aftermarket radios in. Or factory ones for that matter. They latch into a cage which is just latched into the dash. Only tools you'll need is a screwdriver and depending on what radio it is, their removal keys to take the radio head out of the cage/sleeve.

Get me a make and model of the radio and ill do my best to explain.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Robby

Uhh, I can get a make and model on the radio for you tomorrow. But theres no screws or anything in this dash? It just prys off? So just go in with a screw driver and be gentle?
Old 10-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You need to get the radio head unit out BEFORE you try to get the dash trim off (see the others' posts above). You can always remove the glovebox and go from the side to get a glimpse of how it's in there. Cheers!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Can you hear the derail??

If your removing the aftermarket head unit only you DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE THE DASH, there is a trim ring around your aftermarket radio use a fingernail or a flat head screw driver stick it on top just pry it out, very simple, if you do not have the factory pins for the head unit don't worry, get 2, that is 2 flat head screw drivers and place the head of each on opposite sides of unit pry it out, it will come, if it's broken don't worry, you said it crapped out anyway, make sure your drivers are between the unit and the cage in there, if not it will just bend the cage up on it's way out, I've installed and removed a million units, very simple stuff, another very simple way, pull the glove box reach your arm in and try and bend down as many tabs that are sticking up and just push the whole thing out from behind, head units in these trucks are very easy, only ones that I have ever seen that screwed into the mounting plate were flip out tv's, just average cd players don't do that or need it
Old 10-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Interior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
If your removing the aftermarket head unit only you DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE THE DASH, there is a trim ring around your aftermarket radio use a fingernail or a flat head screw driver stick it on top just pry it out, very simple, if you do not have the factory pins for the head unit don't worry, get 2, that is 2 flat head screw drivers and place the head of each on opposite sides of unit pry it out, it will come, if it's broken don't worry, you said it crapped out anyway, make sure your drivers are between the unit and the cage in there, if not it will just bend the cage up on it's way out, I've installed and removed a million units, very simple stuff, another very simple way, pull the glove box reach your arm in and try and bend down as many tabs that are sticking up and just push the whole thing out from behind, head units in these trucks are very easy, only ones that I have ever seen that screwed into the mounting plate were flip out tv's, just average cd players don't do that or need it
DONT DO THAT. Some head units have actual LATCHES and prying on it will only break your dash.

Get me a make and model and I will tell you how it comes out. Pioneers are simple if you dont have the keys, but worse comes to worst, you can goto a local stereo shop and they will have the keys there, just ask them if you can borrow them for a second, or give them 5 bucks to take it out for you.

But, you can remove the glove box, and peer in and sometimes you can see the latching system on the cage. You can also remove the dash bezel and get to the other side of the radio pretty easily as well.

Your dash is only plastic, the radio and cage are light gauge tin, but still stronger than plastic.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Can you hear the derail??

I've done this a million times, never had a problem, and have installed and removed over 50 head units factory and aftermarket in obs trucks alone, my brother runs a stereo business of his own, and I have done several installs myself on many other types of vehicles, yes you can do it garretts way, but I prefer mine when keys aren't available, works like a charm, and never cracked, broke, scratched a single dash I have installed or removed from, good luck with your unit bro
Old 10-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Robby

Ill be tackjling it this weekend. So ill let you guys know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.