5 speed swap question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5 speed swap question

Hi, i'm new to the forum and can't seem to find a definite answer by searching. I have a 95 f-250 powerstroke that has an automatic tranny in it right now but plan on swapping to a 5 speed when it takes a dump. The opportunity came up for me to get a 5 speed tranny out of an 89 F-250 with a 351 gasser in it. I was wondering if this tranny is a possible swap into my psd truck and if so, should i keep the transfer case out of the gasser too? I need to find out because the truck is going to be scrapped in the next couple days and dont want to drop tranny and not have a use for it. any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks in advance
Tyler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

wont work bc the ZF5 has an intergrated bellhousing and the gasser and 7.3 have different bellhousing configurations. Your gunna need one from a 7.3, im 100% sure the 7.3 IDI and 7.3 DI have the same. I know there a ZF5-S45 and 47 i think, not 100% sure. S42 has a torque rating of 420 ft/lbs while S47 has a torque rating of 470 ft/lbs. It depends if you are going to be making more than 420 ft/lbs you should probably be towing with the S47.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
X2 on what he said, clutch pedal will work tho
Old 10-03-2011, 10:16 AM

go online and research Harry U Pull it, they have everything in that junkyard, bring your own tools thats all, you could prolly get that tranny and everything you need for like 150, real cheap. its in PA, theres 3 of em, the best one i think is hazelton
Old 10-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok, thanks everybody for your help. i will def take the clutch pedal out, and i will have to look up that Harry U Pull it, sounds like an awesome place and $150 is a hell of a price. thanks again for your help!!!!!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:02 PM

no problem, they have tons of stuff there. just like i said bring your own tools and start crackin lolol they have a base price list on there web site, just google it. good luck!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok, i'm back with another question. I found a zf-5 from a 97 f350 with a 460 that i can get the tranny and tcase for $450, it has an external slave cylinder and the only numbers he could find was 1317050013 which i think means its rated at 470 ft lbs. I cant find a definite answer on what has to be done to mate it to a psd. some say you just have to enlarge the dowel holes and others say it cant be done, some say you have to change the bellhousing spacer. I would just like to know what all needs to be done to mate the two together. also would like to know of any issues that anyone can forsee happening. Will the auto driveshafts work as well? some say you dont need to swap and others say you have to have driveshafts from a stick. thanks in advance guys
Old 10-30-2011, 06:23 PM

The 5 speed from a 460 will bolt up to a 7.3 but the gear ratios are different than a 7.3 5 speed transmission.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:42 PM

sorry to hijack this thread but 06superduty you ever been out to Harry's? Much OBS or more specifically powerstroke stuff? I live about an hour away but somehow have never been out there
Old 10-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok, i'm not too worried about gear ratio's. overdrive is supposed to be real close and first gear i hear is actually lower which is all good IMO. Is there a difference in the way the speedometer works?? This is my first ford and not sure on how their speedometers work. I know chevy changed speedo signals all the time, but idk how often ford changed things like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.