96 f250 7.3L power loss - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 f250 7.3L power loss

hi there new to forum...long time reader ,but new commer.. I have a 96 f250 extended cab 4x4 with 5 speed manual... 149K miles...runs great...love the truck.. I had 4:10 gears in diff and revoved them because of poor fuel milage..put in 3:55..get 20 MPG..reall happy...anyways hoping someone could help me out...I pull a 25' fith wheel that weight is roughly 10 000 pound...all kind of bottom end torque..could be in 4th gear doing 40 mph low rmp step on the accelerator and pics up and gone in no time...but here the kikker..on the highway at 60mph not bad 65mph no more power...when the accelerator is about 3/4 way to the floor I have no more power,with camper on the back or not towing anything...it seems when I first get going I have to press on accelerator down about 1/4 of the way just to get going..when I hit 1/2 way down all kinds of pick up and here turbo kick in,but 3/4 and to the floor I actually start loosing power ,but if I let up to 3/4 or so starts picking up again..all the power is the 1/2 way point..but tons of bbtm end torque...my first diesel and love it but need ti figure this out..put the truck on a scope right from international and nothing came up....so would anyone like to take a guess on this ..thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have you changed the fuel filter? Air filter? Do you have a cat? Stock or chipped? Tire size? If you are running 285s or smaller your gears should not be a prob. Do you shift down at 65? These are a few things to look at to get started.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:13 PM

several things to check:
1. do your maintenance first (oil/filter changes)
2. the throttle position switch could be bad
3. bad fuel pump
Old 09-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

fuel filter new,air filter new,stock engine..tires are 245/85/16 10 ply..the reason I took out my 4:10 gears is because on hyway at 60mph in 5th reving 2400rmp...getting 15mpg..so could not downshift..now with 3:55 gears reaving 2200rmp at nearly 70 mph...everything seems good and pulls great but no power or should I say start loosing power when gas pedal is past 3/4 mark..just no top end...I mean I could fly at 80mph no problem as long as my gas pedal does not exceed 3/4 way to the floor..anything after that I don't really lose speed but don't gain either,but you kind of feel nothing happening as you depress pedal to the floor ...
Old 09-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no idea if I have a cat or not...under the truck roughly under passenger door door there is a piece on exaust pipe..don't know if it is a cat or a silencer... and back farther muffler ..I see that stock down pipe crimped will have to go later...
Old 09-28-2011, 05:48 PM

Your cat will look the same as one on a car. Did you look in the bottom of the bowl to see if it's clean when you changed the filter?
Old 09-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

sounds like position "glitch" in the accelerator sensor, i would put on machine and watch that... thats the first thing i would check i've put on quite a few of those...
Old 09-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know every now and then you press down on accelerator pedal and nothing happens...one day on the hyway pulled out to pass a car put the pedal down and nothing happened..only did it once..2 other times in town..so 3 times total in 6 moths..
Old 09-28-2011, 06:02 PM

If thats the case you could check for a TP code like a P1125.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford50 View Post
I know every now and then you press down on accelerator pedal and nothing happens...one day on the hyway pulled out to pass a car put the pedal down and nothing happened..only did it once..2 other times in town..so 3 times total in 6 moths..

Sounds like jasons 7.3 powerstroke mite be right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.