Caught Fire! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 04:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Caught Fire!

OK I know I should have replaced the glow plugs a while ago.... but havent had the money or time to do it.

Took it camping up into the cold country yesterday and couldn't get it to crank up..... two TINY shots of ether..... always does the trick....

Not this time.... crank.crank,crank. KABOOM!!!!!

I popped the hood and noticed my air box had grenaded into fifty pieces and the filter was in flames!!!!!

I was nearing panic mode as I frantically searced for my fire extinguisher....

ANYHow..... I told you that story to tell you this one....

Went to Oreilly auto parts today and got one of those fancy K&N copy filters by SPECTRE... $40
Then I went to the Home depot and bought a $2 3" pipe fitting... Its 4"OD to fit nicely inside the factory tube and SPECTRE filter....
pics. total cost $42...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Nice, well now you should figure out the problem that kauses you to use either to start it in the first place. Lol
Old 09-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I used diesel additive I found in autozone for when i was in cold country. Made it start right up. I gotta do my plugs soon too. Nice fix though!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Bet since you just did that you have a factory down pipe too rite?, get a down pipe and straight pipe it, watch the mpg increase roll in, btw, use you programmer on the race tune for highway, get about 6 mpg's added
Old 09-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Banned

That little spectre filter is not going to flow enough cfm for your 7.3 diesel my friend. Ditch that pos filter and get a 6637 thats made for heavy machinery
Old 09-26-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
That little spectre filter is not going to flow enough cfm for your 7.3 diesel my friend. Ditch that pos filter and get a 6637 thats made for heavy machinery
What's the 6637 filter, and where can one get it?

The previous owner had a K&N filter, but after going through the whole "wash" ritual 10K ago I'm having my doubts as to the effectiveness, and flow capabilities, of this filter. I haven't had any issues with silica showing up on oil samples, but lately the truck just seems to be a turd on acceleration, and then takes off like a scalded dog once the turbo spools.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
That little spectre filter is not going to flow enough cfm for your 7.3 diesel my friend.
Says who?
Old 09-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Banned

It'll flow you'll just have to buy a new turbo. I have pics to prove. 6.0 has fins that look like someone sand blasted the b!itch
Old 09-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekfinn View Post
What's the 6637 filter, and where can one get it?

The previous owner had a K&N filter, but after going through the whole "wash" ritual 10K ago I'm having my doubts as to the effectiveness, and flow capabilities, of this filter. I haven't had any issues with silica showing up on oil samples, but lately the truck just seems to be a turd on acceleration, and then takes off like a scalded dog once the turbo spools.
fleetfilter.com and enter Part# 6637. Sometimes Napa will carry it too and it might be cheaper thru them.

K&N's are junk too and dont filter as good and dont flow nearly enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95dieselsmoke View Post
Says who?
Says many a dusted turbo That little filter is made for a honda.. not a 7.3l fire breathing monster (aka turbo diesel which have insane air requirements). That spectre wont flow enough air and wont filter out enough particles for our huge engines.

FYI, I have that little dinky Spectre on my 1.9liter Volkswagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96F350KID View Post
It'll flow you'll just have to buy a new turbo. I have pics to prove. 6.0 has fins that look like someone sand blasted the b!itch
Exactly.

EDIT: Oh and I totally forgot to mention; your lucky your whole MOTOR didn't go kaboom like your airbox did by spraying ether in there (unless the gp's were disconnected)
Old 09-26-2011, 11:39 AM

if you HAVE to use ether in an emergengy situation. turn the key on and leave it on for at least 3 minutes. that way the glow plugs will come on, shot off and cool down. the spray it and start it without turning the key off and back on. of course you only do this after jumping the glow plug relay and trying everything else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.