Transmission cooler, out front, or in the middle? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Transmission or Injectors

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Transmission cooler, out front, or in the middle?

So I have the nice large transmission cooler from my 06, but I don't know if it should go in front of the intercooler.

I was thinking

From grille to fan
1 intercooler
2 trans cooler
3 AC rad
4 Coolant rad

I don't have a lot of room between the intercooler and the grille, and I figured the intercooler should be the first anyways.

Also, what's the purpose of running the transmission line through the coolant rad first before the trans cooler rad?

Thanks in advance for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ive seen on here from others and cary evey told me.... remove it from the colant radiator and run direstly into the massive 06 trans cooler and it will cool more then you can heat it... also never stack coolers and if you run the one in the radiator thats what your essiancilly doing... just what ive seen and picked up from a few people
Old 09-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Kinda like heating it up to go to the cooler and back to the trans.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The logic of using the radiator cooler and the add on cooler is when operating your truck in reverse you still have cooling.Imagine heavy use in reverse without airflow across the cooler,tranny would become hot fairly quickly.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:24 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

In my opinion I believe that the trans cooler should be out front and that is where I have relocated it on my last truck. The new one I have not messed with.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Electrical Ogre

I'd leave the trans cooler in the rad connected in a northern climate. I would think it would help heat the fluid when it's bitterly cold out. Also the liquid-to-liquid heat exchange is more efficient, so when the trans fluid is hotter than the radiator, it will pre-cool the fluid before it hits the liquid-to-air cooler.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:47 PM

My coolant always seems to be around 85 degrees C, and my transmission has hit 100 degrees C (yeah, I know , badness)

I think the intercooler should be the first one, since you want the coolest air going into the engine. There should be enough fan pull to cool everything behind the intercooler.

Now to see if I can adapt my 06 transmission hard lines to my E40D. They are a larger steel line, and also have the factory transmission spin on filter on it. I figure it cant hurt to go larger lines, and then I wont have to adapt to go to the transmission cooler.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:53 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I bypassed my rad all together. Didn't want any gunk from the rad going into my $4k trans. I am not intercooled yet but IMO i would want the trans cooler first. You can have all the good air you want from the IC but if you smoke your trans i wont matter will it?? I was able to adapt my 6.0 cooler to my steel lines with brass fittings and compressions. No leaks...
Old 09-27-2011, 02:59 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwillson View Post
My coolant always seems to be around 85 degrees C, and my transmission has hit 100 degrees C (yeah, I know , badness)

I think the intercooler should be the first one, since you want the coolest air going into the engine. There should be enough fan pull to cool everything behind the intercooler.

Now to see if I can adapt my 06 transmission hard lines to my E40D. They are a larger steel line, and also have the factory transmission spin on filter on it. I figure it cant hurt to go larger lines, and then I wont have to adapt to go to the transmission cooler.
the 6.0 coolers have a 1/2 inch line used on them. buy the 1/2 inch line and just cut your steel lines and use hose clamps to secure it.

also, mount the cooler in the factory position. that is with the ends of the cooler where the lines attach to go in the downward position. I put mine in front of the rad and in front of the intercooler.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:32 AM

How much does the intercooler actually drop air temperature? What is the air temp coming from the turbo on these engines? This is where I have my dilemma.

for example, if the air leaving the turbo was 40degrees, and it cooled the intake air entering the engine to 20 degrees, its not going to cool as much if there is a transmission cooler at 80 degrees trying to cool down to 40 degrees in front of it.

and... I will have to try and space my intercooler back farther if it goes in front, as I dont have enough room between the grille and the intercooler now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.