I think I might need a new turbo - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2007, 07:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think I might need a new turbo

The links are to pictures of what I found when I took off the hose and checked out my turbo. My truck has been kind of weak at higher RPMs (low-end torque is still really good) and I suspected the turbo might be to blame. I didn't have any black smoke at high power, though - which led me to think it might be something else for a while. Anyway, when I looked inside, I figured a new turbo was probably in order regardless of it being the root of the problem.

Turbo 1
Turbo 2

I figure the oil is due to worn out seals of some sort. Any idea what would cause the blades to be bent like that? I don't know how something large would have gotten down the intake.

Here's the turbo I ordered - seems to be from a good guy (100% positive with almost 2500 feedback).
eBay Motors: BANKS 94/97FORD POWERSTROKE 7.3 TURBO TURBOCHARGER 1.00 (item 120149569156 end time Aug-14-07 20:35:28 PDT)

Also, should I replace the connecting hoses between the engine and the y pipe? They look pretty old and crusty. Where would I get something like that?

Thanks!
Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Oil residue in the turbo is common unless you have modded you crankcase vent system. Crankcase vapours vent into the cast pipe before the turbo, yeilding a coat of oil on everthing from turbo inlet to the head intake tubes as it is sucked into the engine.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:38 PM

What about the puddle of oil in the bottom of the turbo? I started up the truck and let it run for a bit with the tube off (while ensuring clean, undisturbed air) and the puddle of oil was still at the bottom of the housing. I would have expected it to go away.

What about the bent blades?
Old 09-12-2007, 10:14 AM

I have ended up isolating this to an exhaust leak (or perhaps a few). The bolt by the #7 cylinder was broken off of the exhaust manifold and it's leaking there. Who knows what shape the up pipes are in - but I'm going to try to work on those when I take the turbo out and replace it. Any ideas on replacements for those? I know there's an International replacement that doesn't require donuts, which is an attractive option to me. I hate repeating repairs.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Power Strokeaholic

like what was said above oil is normal. the blades are not. they shouldnt be bent. have you looked into geting just the compressor wheel? it's way cheaper than a whole turbo. i havent heard about the IH replacment but if its really out there look into it more. oh, that oil puddle wount go away. if you wipe it out with a VERY clean cloth. and run it for a while the oil wont be there. but when you bolt the intake tube back up the oil mist will start again and the puddle will be back.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes International has a fix for the leaking donut gaskets. Black Widow Diesel This are ceramic coated and they also have uncoated ones which you would be able to get from International. I have the coated ones that I need to put in.
EDIT: I just realized I was in the OBS forum. I dont know if these will work on the OBS. Call up Kevin at Black Widow and see what he says.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:20 PM

I found these up pipes for OBS trucks. Kind of expensive, but might be worth it. It's an extra $125 for ceramic coating. Is the ceramic coating worth the $$?

http://shop.blackwidowdiesel.com/pro...&productId=369
Old 09-12-2007, 05:54 PM

so did you get that turbo? I was thinking about getting the same one from that guy if mine took a crap. I'm curious as to what it's like compared to the stock.
My turbo looks just like yours after almost 300k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.