need info on Trans cooler (Tru-Cool Max) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2007, 05:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need info on Trans cooler (Tru-Cool Max)

I am looking at adding a Tru-Cool Max trans cooler and was looking for anyone who has had experience with these. Is it worth the money? Does it install in a series or parallel with the stock cooler? Does anyone have pics of how they mounted theirs? Is there a better cooler to use? Thanks in adavance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2007, 07:04 AM
7.3 tech, supporter

When it comes to coolers the bigger the better. You always want to plum them in series with the cooler in the radiator. so your fluid goes into the rad first, out the rad and into the cooler, then out of the cooler and back into the tranny.

as far as mounting some will tell you to mount it right in the middle of the rad but the fan don't pull any air thru the center of the rad so you want it slightly off set.

Can't tell ya much about the brand, i have always run hayden coolers and had good luck.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Would you think its a good idea to remove the small stock trans cooler when installing the Tru-cool or keep both. What about using the thermal bypass valve. I have been told the E4OD will not get to the right operating temps if I don't run one. Dieselsite.com shows that the E4OD requires it.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

hey jcmagone. i have a 95 psd with the e40d. i recently replaced my trans with a bts and i installed a new cooler. i bought a tranny cooler from ford that fits a 99-2000 psd.it will cost you about 160 buck if you dont have the ford discount, but i think i saw it online for 119. its only about 8 inches tall and around 16 in long. has some weird brackets on it but with some modifications you can mount it in the center of the bumper right behind the holes. on a 95 degree day. with out a load i run about 125 to a 130 degrees. the air comes right through the holes in the bumper and removes heat from the fluid much more efficiently. i can take pics of mine if you want some ideas.also my tranny works great when its warm and when it cold i dont think it matters.hope i have been some help
Old 08-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wink

I recently put the tru-cool max and I love it, the temps are not more than 150 and was easy to install, discard the little stock one. If you live in a place with cold weather you should buy with the thermal bypass valve. so it worth the money.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I actually just picked up one of the trans coolers that strokinford is talking about from the local wrecking yard. Some pics would be nice just to get another view point. Thanks for all of the info.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Powerstroke Techie

On my 99 I removed the factory 20K cooler and installed a Trucool 40K cooler like the V-10’s have and installed another 40K cooler behind the front bumper over the tag hole. I plumbed them in series and it did not have a radiator cooler originally. The 40k cooler made a huge difference but later on when my tranny finally went completely out I had to replace the factory one anyway for warranty so it was cheap to go ahead and put the second 40K one in its place. If you add a Trucool 40K cooler you will be happy with it, cost about $120 on the net and easy to install. There is a pic or two of mine in my signature link
Old 08-18-2007, 11:41 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I am running my cooler like this. It goes to the radiator, to the factory oem external cooler, to my aftermarket cooler back to the trans. Also there is a filter that is inline with the transmission cooler lines. I was told to remove that filter. Because that filter restricts the flow of the fluid to the coolers.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

After installing my gauges it looks like I do need another cooler. Burning around town today in stop and go traffic the trans temp guage heated up to about 195. I am sure it would be alot worse when I am pulling my 5ver loaded up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.