new guy in need of guidance - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2006, 10:27 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new guy in need of guidance

I guyís im new to Ford diesel and will need some guidance
Iím working on a project vehicle that I will use as a daily driver and a 24í camping trailer puller, it consisted of a F150 frame, a F250 front and rear suspension and a handmade Hummer Body (made by me in my garage) here picture of it
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...8/HPIM1573.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...8/HPIM1254.jpg
The project was supposed to be motivated by a 5.8 (351) EFI motor but some one just offered me a complete 1996 E250 school bus with a 7.3 PSD diesel real cheap
The van as 130000 mile on it and it run great.
My main concern is the transmission, I need to know how much I can move the motor/trans back, any of you could measure me the total length of a E4OD transmission with the Tcase?
Also what can I do to increase the output of the 7.3 without affecting reliability?
I know I will have to fabricate a new down pipe and exhaust system
Also since the air filter system will have to be fabricate Iím considering a small custom intercooler.
How reliable are those 7.3 in the winter?, I come from a truck driver family and I am aware of cold starts. At home I can kept it plug in but at work I donít have access to electrical outlet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Power Strokeaholic

now i get your name. you have got to put some of those pic's in your garage. and add a few more. i'm really intrested in that rig you got goin. i'm not sure what the length diffrence is between the e4od/4r100. i can measure the 4r100 if you want. i was unable to plug mine in a couple of winter's ago and it got dam cold, like -10, the hoss didn't wan't to start but i worked with him and after a few cycles of the G.P.'s and a few turn's at crankin and dieing it started.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Welcome to Powerstroke.org h150! You've got a really neat project going on there.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:29 PM

thank's guy's
super_stroke i will post more picture
Old 06-07-2006, 06:16 AM

hi
check in my garage i have posted pictures
Old 06-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

WOW! You've got one cool project!
You obviously have great talent. Please keep us up to speed on your progress. I'm getting close to starting my own project. I plan on stuffing a 7.3 PSD into a 48 Ford pickup and your upcoming experience will act as a great guide!
Oh yeah, I guess I should try to answer some of your questions... I'm all for the PSD! I don't have any "cold weather" problems because I'm in Southern California. Your H-150 looks pretty heavy and I beleive the power you can get out of a modern diesel will please you greatly. Becides, they sound really cool! As for power adders. I use the Banks products and am very pleased. You may have a hard time because 90% of your application will be custom. I know guys that run propane and nitrous power adders on their PSD's but that is just crazy power! A lot more than I'm looking for.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:40 AM

Thanks
it is a great project, I have learn a lot on fabrication
I have been working on it for the past 3year, mostly because Iím on a strict budget
That was one condition my wife agreed on the project, cost must be kept down
for the price I can get the complete school bus with the running 7.3 , even if I have to locate a new 4x4 transmission, I figure Iím ahead of the game. The 5.8 would cost me close to $3000 for a good rebuilt with aftermarket head and intake, and thatís not counting transmission rebuilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerStroken090
Your H-150 looks pretty heavy and I beleive the power you can get out of a modern diesel will please you greatly. Becides, they sound really cool! As for power adders. I use the Banks products and am very pleased. You may have a hard time because 90% of your application will be custom.
this is the main reason Iím considering the 7.3 there a lot of power potential in them not to mention aftermarket parts for them. It would take a supercharge on the 5.8 to make the stock torque of a 7.3PSD, we all know itís torque that get those heavy truck moving
Old 06-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Conservative and Proud

WELCOME H150!!!!

That is one heck of a project ya got goin!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Power Strokeaholic

that's awesome! I'm putin my order in.:burnout
Old 06-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

As far as cold weather starts, if you keep good batteries, good glow plugs, and glow plug relays you should have no trouble starting in the winter. I talk to buddies in Alaska and this is what they say. As far as the Banks system, it is a good system but very pricey. With the amount of re-fabrication you will have to do I would suggest you buy your needs from different vendors and get as close as what you can use from each one. You can get the same or better performance as Banks by doing it this way and save lots of dollars. Their prices have to pay for a lot of advertising.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.