Why did you get a diesel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 04:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why did you get a diesel?

So why did you buy a diesel? Whats your story?

Ill go first. I never really considered one before about 2003. Never knew about their efficiency or power potential. Just that they were loud and usually used to pull loads. When I started researching alternative fuels, diesel came up left and right. I joined another forum, and within a few years ended up getting my first PSD, the now totaled 95 in my sing. I the previous truck was an 02 Chevy 2500 6.0. Loved it, great truck but its got maybe 10 city and 14 hiway. With a new job it was motly the grocery getter and I was driving the car. In 08 I bought the 95. Minimal trouble with it, did almost all my own work, great truck! My Chevy was 300hp stock, and the 95 with 215 felt really darn close when warmed up. Learned that with the torque of a diesel HP numbers seem inaccurate or misleading coming from the gasser realm. I learned everything i know about PSD's from this place. When I bought it I know almost nothing about the 7.3. Thats all changed with the org!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 04:29 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Been raised around Diesel my whole life. First car was an 82 Scottsdale with a 6.2. I have never had anything else. Now I actually use my trucks for what they are meant for. Pulling and towing.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:31 AM
Banned

Cause I could....
Old 06-09-2011, 04:50 AM
Banned

i was a chevy guy in the 90s. the dream truck was a cc lb 4x4 with a diesel. when the 99 superduty came out and fell in love with it. and through out the years i kept up what ford put out, and trim and options. kinda pictured what i wanted. in 2007 dad bought his first diesel. 1988 f350 idi. in sig.....rewired a lot to get the lights working and other major items to get it road worthy. finally get to drive it for a semester for school and fell in love with diesel trucks.

in 2008, i was informed by my sister about a 1997 f350...in sig....was forsale down the road. got that running and drove it till mid year of 2009. bought the sd and drive that since. sold the obs late 2009.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:00 AM
Serving Our Country!

i wanted a truck that had more capability than i would need and would last for years. i keep my vehicles for a long time so this should be the last one i buy for a long, long time.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:00 AM

Towing, pure and simple. A few years back, I got my father in law's 96 F250 Super Cab long bed. It was great! I did not need a truck then, but dang it was useful! It went back to him a couple of years later and I drove the 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9. Also a great truck. We bought a travel trailer, and I saw the HORRID mileage that we would get towing it with my wife's Durango 4x4 with the 5.9. The jeep was past it's use by date for us, so I sold it and went shopping. SWMBO ordered that the truck must be crew cab and white was the color of preference. I dictated that it be a 7.3 Powerstroke. I found a smokin deal in Missouri, flew out and spent 3 nights on my buddy's floor to get the deal done, then drove her home. I love my truck! We now have a 5th wheel and this is just a sweet package. I would like the cab to be a little quieter, but beyond that it is all good. Just a few minor mods to go!
Old 06-09-2011, 05:28 AM

I started out in cunstruction for a phone company. I installed underground phone lines. I bought a nice 7.3 IDI non-turbo and loved it! Used it to haul just about every thing. Then I happen to drive by a car lot that had a 96/97 White 7.3 Turbo, 5 speed 4x4. That was the fastest,strongest truck I have ever seen (I was young) After a couple years it started to act up and I didn't really needthe big truck any more AND the new wife didn't like the comfort of it so I traded and got a gasser. Owned SEVERAL gassers untill recently. I was back in the market looking for a full size truck. I have some heavy trailers and find myself hauling every thing for myself or the family and the gassers just wasn't cutting it anymore. All the full size trucks had 100,000 plus miles on them and I just couldn't make myself buy a truck that was already about wore out with miles. So I started looking at Diesels again. Lets face it. With proper maintance they will last 5 to 600,000 miles. That to me is worth the money. Looked at a couple nice ones but they just didn't make me feel warmand fuzzy Then while I was surfing Craigslist one night I found it. I knew I had to have it and after some back and forth on price I bought it (truck in sig) and have LOVED every minute of it Now I am back to pulling/hauling what I want safely and when I want. Then I found this site and can now fix any issue that comes up!

Sorry for the long post, I haved owned a LOT of vehicles
Old 06-09-2011, 05:40 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I wanted to be able to tow anything that I wanted without killing my truck

Truthfully though, I took my 02 fF150 to have the cracking paint looked at and was swarmed by sales people. 5 hours later, and ZERO vasoline, I end up with my 06 . BTW, by 150 was paid off!

Oh well, I LOVE my truck
Old 06-09-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pork chop View Post
Towing, pure and simple. A few years back, I got my father in law's 96 F250 Super Cab long bed. It was great! I did not need a truck then, but dang it was useful! It went back to him a couple of years later and I drove the 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9. Also a great truck. We bought a travel trailer, and I saw the HORRID mileage that we would get towing it with my wife's Durango 4x4 with the 5.9. The jeep was past it's use by date for us, so I sold it and went shopping. SWMBO ordered that the truck must be crew cab and white was the color of preference. I dictated that it be a 7.3 Powerstroke. I found a smokin deal in Missouri, flew out and spent 3 nights on my buddy's floor to get the deal done, then drove her home. I love my truck! We now have a 5th wheel and this is just a sweet package. I would like the cab to be a little quieter, but beyond that it is all good. Just a few minor mods to go!
Please, whatever you do, don't ever call a Jeep a truck again. That might be deserving of a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick to the balls!

My first diesel was an early 99 F250 CCSB 4x4, I wanted a diesel for towing, I had always heard the fuel mileage was better, and it seemed like with simple things like chips and intakes and exhaust etc you could get a strong running rig pretty easy. I'll never go back to a gas pig for my DD/tow rig that's for sure!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:25 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
Please, whatever you do, don't ever call a Jeep a truck again. That might be deserving of a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick to the balls!
That' going in the sig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.