Gear ratio - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gear ratio

Alright, I'm looking at buying a 96 psd and noticed when I test drove it, the truck was slower then usual getting out of first and into second gear, then its fine. I noticed today in the description that it has 4:10 gears, which are meant for tow/hauling if i remember correctly. Or may its slowness be due to its still in tow/haul mode and hasn't been turned off?

My questions are:

1. is it supposed to be slow with 4:10 gears? everyone has them
2. what should its mpg be with those gears?
3. how much would stock gearing cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The 4:10 gears if anything will make the truck faster than the same truck with 3:55s or 3:73s because its lower gearing if that makes sense.

As a result of this lower gearing, rpms are going to be higher than a truck with the 3.73s or 3.55s, at 65 my truck is turning 2100 rpm, compared to my moms 3.73 truck that does 1850 at 65. this will result in lower mileage, but increased acceleration accross the board. youll also feel the difference from a truck with higher gearing when towing.

Now the truck most likely came from the factory with 4:10 gearing, this was a popular option in obs trucks. im not sure how much regearing the truck with higher gearing such as 3:55s or 3:73s would cost, but honestly unless you mainly commute in the truck id leave the 4:10s in.
as for the tranny shifting slow, i couldnt tell you much about that, sounds like it may be slipping. im sure other members will chime in, hopefully a little bit of what i just told you is correct...
Old 06-06-2011, 01:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know for sure the transmission is in good shape since that dealer is pretty much #1 to buy a diesel from, so thats not an issue.

I think the truck may still be in tow/haul mode since they have been using it around the shop. Because one time at work I had to use a 350 gasser, and it was slow as crap the first day. The next day it took off like normal. I think it was in tow mode.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:15 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
my truck is slow as crap getting to about 15 mph, but once i hit it i can take off real quick from there, and hell sometimes if im getting to 15 slowly and then romp on it i can shirp the tires too, but just about anything before that its real slow and dont get no where
Old 06-06-2011, 03:22 PM

There is no tow/haul mode in an OBS.
4.10's will give you more acceleration but limit top speed. Expect to get around 15mpg with that truck in a combo of city/highway driving on average. Both my OBS with 4.10's were a dog off the line too, I think its just a function of little injectors and a large turbine on the turbo. My 96 wasn't as bad, but this stinkin' federal emissions 97 I have now is the turd of turds. I'm hoping to fix that real soon...
Old 06-06-2011, 03:28 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
federal emissions? i live in cali and emissions is no longer required on 97 and older diesels, georgia doesnt have emisssions period on f-250 and larger or any size diesel period
Old 06-06-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
federal emissions? i live in cali and emissions is no longer required on 97 and older diesels, georgia doesnt have emisssions period on f-250 and larger or any size diesel period
Late build 96 and 97 build trucks with the CA emissions package got AB split shot injectors, which are 120cc instead of the 90cc AA injectors in the 49 state trucks.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I dont have enough income to afford a new set of gears in the rear so I'm looking at an Edge Evolution color screen tuner.

So city mpg would be like 14-15 mpg and highway around 18-20 stock?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:12 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i was looking at doing the same thing. its going to be way more money than its worth. i got quoted 2400 bucks for the gears and installation today. i know that guy is a little high, but i've got somewhere close to that from everyone i've talked to. i'm just going to do stage 1's and a 17* hpop to help with mpg instead.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08spartan250 View Post
i was looking at doing the same thing. its going to be way more money than its worth. i got quoted 2400 bucks for the gears and installation today. i know that guy is a little high, but i've got somewhere close to that from everyone i've talked to. i'm just going to do stage 1's and a 17* hpop to help with mpg instead.
I was quoted $650 for install/setup if I supplied all the parts needed to put 3.73's in mine. I'd say $2400 is WAY high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroked View Post
Well I dont have enough income to afford a new set of gears in the rear so I'm looking at an Edge Evolution color screen tuner.

So city mpg would be like 14-15 mpg and highway around 18-20 stock?
My 96 was an auto, my 97 is a 5 speed. I also used to have a 99 F250SD that was an auto. I NEVER saw over 18mpg with any of them, and that's skewed because I somehow managed to pull down 17+mpg last fill up with my 97. Expect more like 12-13 in town and 15-16 highway, IMO unless you are really conservative with your driving or have a 2wd.
Don't waste money on the Edge, there are far better options out there for tuning. I don't know what the Edge costs these days but you should be able to get a custom burned chip and 2-3 gauges for $700 or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.