A few Issues? please HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A few Issues? please HELP

I Have a 96 f350 reg cab 7.3 turbo dump truck. i drove it a few weeks ago and everything was ok. i went to start the other day, turned the key everything seemed ok when i crank nothing happens. i thought solenoid, so i changed it. same thing. nothing. then i changed ignition switch and nothing. if i jump solenoid truck starts, so i figured i would deal with it later and drive the truck. i pulled out of my driveway and all was good until i got on the street and it wouldnt shift. then i noticed the odometer was not reading anything at all. i put my scan tool on and it read 124 codes but wouldnt read any of them. then i hit pending codes and truck shut off. all live data is wrong or maxed out, like etc was reading -40 wouldnt read maf or fuel pressure or anything at all. Please someone help i dont no where to go from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you jump the SOLENOID on the starter, or the RELAY on the fender?

Auto or manual tranny? What do you mean by "wouldn't shift"?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:09 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It seems like you need to disconnect the batteries for a few hours and go back to basics. It resets the computer and will help ya out. As for the starting thing sounds like a lead wire is broken between the key and the fender solenoid. It can be traced with diagrams or run a new one. The shifting/no odometer is due to a VSS not working. Its located on top of the rear differential. But do the computer reset first and go from there
Old 06-02-2011, 05:09 AM

check your fuses too. i had vss and dash die and it was fuse related.

as madpogue asked, which solenoid did you replace/jump?

Old 06-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i jumped the solenoid on pass fender. it is auto tranny and it seems like it wont go out of first gear just revs out. I checked all fuses and relays multiple times. any one think it could be pcm? the computer seems to not read anything going on at all. truck shuts off if i try and read pending codes
Old 06-02-2011, 10:17 PM

You might want to check the VSS sensor on the rear end. That and the wiring to it. Pull it off and clean it.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is it pretty self explanatory to find? Would the vss have anything to do with the truck not starting? It almost feels like it thinks it's not in park or neutral
Old 06-03-2011, 08:47 AM

VSS will be the only thing with a wire coming out of the rear diff, so yeah, it should be easy to spot. I'd say it's low on ths suspect list; it might affect whether the truck moves, but it doesn't affect the starting.

I think your hunch about it acting like it's not in Park or Neutral is a good one. The range selector switch would affect both the starting (neutral safety) and the go-down-the-road issues. I'm not familiar with how they work on the OBS, but a general diagnostic trick is (and it's a little tricky to do with both hands) to put it in Neutral, then hold the key in the START position, and nudge the shifter around toward Reverse and toward Drive. If the starter catches while you're doing that, that suggests that the switch is out of adjustment / out of synch with the shifter.

BTW, that's a relay on the fender, not a solenoid. The solenoid is on the starter itself.

Edit - here's another "dumb guy" test for the trans / neutral switch being out of adjustment. Turn the key to RUN, SET THE PARKING BRAKE, and shift it to Reverse, and hop out and see if the back-up lights are on in the back. Again, nudge the shifter around and see if that gets the back-up lights to go on.

Last edited by madpogue; 06-03-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I tried the trick with the shifter and nothing. Also my reverse lights do work. I checked vss and wiring and all seems ok. Can I read ohms or anything on that? Also checked starter wire at ignition switch and it does not get power when I turn key to crank. What gives that power?

Last edited by 06f35014; 06-04-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:59 AM

I'd be inclined to pull the battery terminals and let the thing sit for a while. If the computer's full of nonsense that should clear it out. Besides, it's the easiest thing to try before guessing at all sorts of scenarios. You have no idea what the fella before you did with this thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.