Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Different Dana 60 question

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  pmasterson 
#1 ·
Just picked up a late 80s kingpin 60 for my 95 and was curious as to why there is a track bar on a leaf sprung truck?? Older 3/4 ton Fords dont have track bars on em? Do you have to use them doing the swap?

#2 ·
the 3/4 tons dont have them because the ttb arms act as track bars. iyes it is necessary to use them in the solid axle swaps to keep the axle inline

#6 ·
Didnt see this post the first time i looked but by 3/4 ton i meant 70s strait axle trucks that are leaf sprung with no track bar F350s are actually one of the only strait axle trucks ive seen with leaf springs and a track bar

#4 ·
I got a guy giving me his d60 kause he is selling his truck, not sure what its off of

#5 ·
Thanks for the information but i still dont see how a track bar has anything to do with breaking a tie rod end of stopping the truck after that??? Is there anybody that has done this swap that didnt use the track bar??

#7 · (Edited)
The results are mixed and I personally don't run one, but everyone else has an opinion on the subject. It can be driven without, but the majority of people run one.

#8 ·
The results are mixed and I personally don't run one, but everyone else has an opinion on the subject. If can be driven without, but the majority of people run one.
Alright thats what i was lookin for:thumb: I really dont want to run mine is there any bad affects you notice that you think that would be the cause of ?? I just dont want to put mine in and go down the road and have the axle spit out sideways Also i cant look under my truck right now so ill just ask on here... Does the F250 have the spot for the track bar on the frame or was that specific to the 350? I know it wouldnt be used but didnt know if they put them on there for simplicity . Probaly not though

#9 ·
I really don't have any issues, however you will need to just try it and see as some vehicles seem to require it and others don't.

Your engine cradle should have provisions for mounting the track bar bracket already. It's looks like a pain in the *** to get the bolts installed with the powerstroke engine as clearance is limited, but it can be done.

#10 ·
Alrighty i guess ill cross that stream when i get there then and just see if its gonna be needed on my truck when the axle is in. Is there anywhere to buy a trackbar ? Mines all hacked up with an extension welded in it

#11 ·
The 80s and 90s had a track bar due to the steering design. With the drag link moving side-to-side (crossover steering,) the axle could shift on the springs/bushings, reducing effective steering. On the 70s trucks, the drag link moved for and aft (push/pull steering,) so only axle wrap could affect steering.

#13 ·
I have an oem trackbar from my '95 F350 that I replaced after installing a 3" RSK. Only had it on for about 4000 miles so the bushings are still in great shape. Don't know if it's the right one for your application or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.