1997 f350 powerstroke lubracation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2006, 07:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1997 f350 powerstroke lubracation

Hello all this is a great site I am glad I found it. I have a quick question. I have a 1997 f350 with a 7.3 powerstroke and a 5 speed trans. What is the recomended oil for the 5 speed trans,front and rear axels and the transfer case? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks longjohn73
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have the same truck and have found from my research

mercon V for the tranny & t-case

80w 90 for the front diff

85w 140 for the rear

and i am gonna be running full sythetic Amsoil ATF & gear lube in all those
(especially the tranny since i have heard and seen that the sychronizers like to go in the ZF models)

I've got most of the fluids gathered up but haven't had a chance to change them yet (only had the truck for 3000 miles so far)
Old 05-29-2006, 06:01 PM
Banned

u are right....except the rear diff. the rear diff takes 75-140 full synthetic. 85-140 will probably not hurt anything, as long as its a full synthetic.

as far as the t-case.....regular mercon or dextron is all they take.......Marc
Old 05-30-2006, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschn99
u are right....except the rear diff. the rear diff takes 75-140 full synthetic. 85-140 will probably not hurt anything, as long as its a full synthetic.

as far as the t-case.....regular mercon or dextron is all they take.......Marc
Full syn? and 75-140? Is that just for limited slips? I drained 80-90 dino out of my 3.55 open and refilled it with the same. That was 30K ago, no problems.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by overl0rd
Full syn? and 75-140? Is that just for limited slips? I drained 80-90 dino out of my 3.55 open and refilled it with the same. That was 30K ago, no problems.
if i remember right it was 96 that they went to full synthetic........and if its a limited slip, it also takes friction modifyer............Marc
Old 06-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thumbs up thanks for the help

Thanks for the help! I just purchased the truck and finding a chilton manuel for it is like finding a needle in a hay stack. Like I said it is a 97' F 350 regular cab 5 speed and it has 76k original miles on it and the farmer that purchased it new (a one owner truck) had the oil changed every 2000 miles with rotella 15-40w he had the reciepts. So far I have added a K&N intake. I love the truck! I am getting 18 miles to the gallon on the highway. Anyway thanks again to all that replied. longjohn73
Old 06-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You can run 80-90 regular gear oil in the rear differential, but if you tow heavy Ford recommends the 75-140 synthetic, or equivalent.

The transmission and t-case take plain old transmission fluid, like DexronIII/Mercon. No need to run Mercon V.

The front differential will be perfectly happy with regular 80-90 gear oil.

If your rear differential is limited slip you'll probably need to add some friction modifier. Start with just the oil and turn tight figure-8 circles and see if you get some chatter. If you do, add 1/4 bottle of the additive at a time and drive it a few miles, then repeat the tight figure-8 circles. Once the chatter goes away completely you're all set and don't need any more additive, unless you want a tighter diff, then go easy on the additive but keep in mind the clutches will wear faster without it.

Hope this helps,

Dan-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.