Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

4WD Locknut, 6 tabs or 4?

785 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  kanuck15 
#1 ·
Hello i am swapping out rotors on my rig and bought the 4wd bearing locknut socket today. I looked at it in the store and it didn't look right, but was told (and i quote) "this is the tool you need" when i asked :)

After work i got into the project, and it looks like i need a socket with 4 tabs, not 6, on the end of the pipe section. Is this a difference between the Dana front ends? Im guessing i don't have a Dana 60, as i don't have an SD rig, i have a 1995 OBS XLT. Is there a way to identify the front end i do have? Does anyone have a part number for the socket i need so i can help the friendly folks a NAPA find what i am looking for?

Thanks for the help!

#2 ·
You need the one with 4 tabs. 250's have a Dana 50, 350's have a Dana 60. Socket will work on both. I bought mine at autozone.

#6 ·
Thanks for the ideas, the screwdriver method sounds kind of rough, but grinding off to get to 2 tabs sounds good. The sockets that are coming up in the parts computer are all a little too small; ID is about 2" and it looks like i need an ID of 2.5". Still have not found one that is deep enough or wide enough, but i'm still looking. Thanks again ~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.