Bought my first powerstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bought my first powerstroke

I purchased my first psd in October. Its a 97 f-350 reg cab 5 speed drw. I had a couple failures from the start. The throw out bearing failed first time I hooked a trailer to it. Then water pump vac pump the the fuel heater failed and blew a fuse. I wire police cars and repair small engines for the town I live in so I am a mechanic but I always stayed away from our trucks at work. I bought the truck to pull a Suzuki samurai rock buggy so it's a bit of an over kill but I have found these trucks are amazing to drive and work on. I was pissed that I had failures and I was getting poor mpg at first then I remembered it's 13 years old and has 120,000 miles things will fail. I have learned how to drive the truck and I'm getting 18-19 mpg now in my city driving to work. These trucks are a blast to drive and this is a great site hands down. I spend hours at a time on this forum and my roomates call me a nerd haha. I do need a little help. I would like to help the towing mpg. The mods on the truck are Donaldson filter no airbox no cat or muffler and a veg power veg oil kit. It has a 4.11 gear and on the interstate I just don't like the rpm to be so high. 80 mph at almost 3000 rpm blasts just bother me. Im afraid a 3.55 will kill my around town mpg. Thanks for everyone who posts and I'm gonna try to help when ever I can help someone else on here. Let me know what y'all think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome to the ORG. The failed water pump and blown fuse on the fuel heater are very common, you are not alone there. A good 6 pos chip will help you fuel economy some not to mention gain you a lot of power. I recommend TW or TS personally. 120000 mile is still pretty low for an OBS.

Congrats on the new truck.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also I forgot to ask one more thing. I'm up in the air between a chip or a tuner. I'm afraid a chip could damage or cause a PCM failure where as a tuner seems to be a safer bet to me. Open to all suggestions
Old 05-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Ryan. I'm gonna post some pics tomorrow. I bought the truck with 6 new bfg commercial t/a on it and all the mods done already and a 25ft car trailer with 4 new tires and some Toyota axle parts for my samurai for 8000. Didn't think I got hurt. I'll let y'all decide. This forum is so much nicer than pirate4x4. Not as much shot talking.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would take a chip over any tuner. If its a reputable one you have nothing to worry about.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I wouldnt think any of the tunes would have any negative affects when running veggie oil. I'm a perfectionist and very meticulous about my toys.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You're pretty much experiencing the normal failure items from wear as my 94.5's had it all but the failing coolant thing. Other than a good oil change and service schedule it'll continue on like the energizer bunny. It just really frosts a guys dingleberries when it all happens in a short period of time when ya first get it....been there/done that.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do. Great trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.