1st roadtrip, now some ?s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 02:31 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1st roadtrip, now some ?s

Just got back from a 1,060 mile round tripper. Mileage was 14.79, 14.39, and 16.35 at 65-70mph with no chip and 4.10 gears. Temp was dead center on the gauge but has always ran like that since I replaced the t-stat, o-ring and neck. Checked the oil when I got home (still hot) and was between at least 1/2 to 1qt lower than the add mark and since I see no leaks I assume it's being burnt due to injectors(?), going to re-check when cooled off. Truck ran great but do need some ideas on some issues. The piece of the radiator that the overflow tank hose connects to broke off and I just wedged a barbed splice in thats too small for the hose but worked ok aside from some spray at higher speeds - any way this can be fixed or do I just need a diffrent radiator? (I don't have the piece that broke off) Do these trucks have a low fuel light? The only other issue was hitting a deer about 7 miles from home causing me to have to pull my bumper out of my tire.

Last edited by chromehound; 05-07-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mileage is low even for a 4.10 truck. Manual or automatic? Were you towing? Steep hills / mountain passes, or fairly flat? Both our trucks are 5-speeds with 3.55s, and on the Interstate we get at least 20 MPG.

No low fuel light. Like with any vehicle, you sould consider the bottom 1/4 tank an emergency reserve. When you reach 1/4, switch tanks and fuel up before the other tank reaches 1/4. That's the beauty of dual tanks; even at your mileage, that's over 400 miles range, without either tank going below 1/4. You can also install a larger rear tank.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:09 PM

Yeah I think alot has to do with no chip and my injectors are going south, I think (factory w/ 181xxx). Sloppy auto that needs rebuilt due to the PO not changing oil for 70000 (was dark but not burnt or stinky when I got it). Flat ground up to steepish hills of Northern Colorado. Normally I don't run my tanks under 1/4 but wanted to know my max range so I ran them both to the E and got 442 miles. My exhaust is in the way of the rear so unless I make it exit elsewhere I'll have to get a bigger front tank. Thinking about going to 3.55s when I do my Dana 60 swap up front.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:24 PM

No low fuel light, a quart in 1000 miles isn't too bad considering 180K. I would think new injectors are in order and that should help the mileage and oil consumption a little
Old 05-08-2011, 05:44 PM

Yeah turned out the oil was just above the add mark by ~1/2 qt but I added another 1/2ish since I like it alittle fuller. Just waiting on $ and to see if the injectors I want would pass emissions test - after I fix some other things for the tests and put in a new radiator to fix my whoops. I could be wrong but didn't the gassers have a low fuel light, I could swear my '93 did.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromehound View Post
I could be wrong but didn't the gassers have a low fuel light, I could swear my '93 did.
They figure diesel drivers are smart enough and don't need it....
Old 05-08-2011, 06:48 PM

I was just thinking what if the gauge stopped working or was wrong but I suppose the light functions off the gauge, oh well at least I know not to try to fix something thats not broke.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My '96 4X4 SC LB PSD w/ 4.10 gears has 213K on her and I only get 14.2-14.6 empty running 72-74 mph. doesn't use or leak a drop of oil and injectors have 50K on them, to me that is like NEW...LOL I got 16 mpg on a 300 mile drive but I had a tail wind. won't know the rest till friday. I think alot of our fuel mileage is due to **** fuel. My other '96 2 wheel drive dually with 4.10 gears got 17 mpg pulling a 14K trailer then they changed the lubricator in fuels and BAMB **** mileage. Anyways those are my thoughts...LOL
Old 05-11-2011, 05:01 PM

Hmm, never thought about the fuel lubricity affecting mileage. Suppose it could. I make up a mix of 3 parts ashless two-cycle oil and one part Power Service White Bottle. Put an ounce per gallon of that at every fill-up.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does that seem to help with your mileage?? Cause when I use veggi oil I get about 15 to 17mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.