Thrown rod. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thrown rod.

Hello. Long story short, saving a WVO truck from a hippy ended badly. I never actually ran her on WVO, but she lived through 40k or so of that in a dual tank system. Noticed the black fuel filter, re-ringed the injectors. Noticed the factory 8, counting copper compression o-ring, ring set was still installed. UGLY looking sticks, and with the fuel filter being black it's obvious WVO and oil mixed freely in the heads for lord knows how long. We had fun for 20k. The other day 2000rpm, 40mph, unloaded, put some windows in the oilpan. Only 170k on the engine. Was a sad day. Good news picked up a used 96, 7.3, 106,000 miles on the clock out of a e-350 for $1500 + $200 for core (They don't care about the block and their just crushing it anyway). Got two of most things now, though I'm treating a lot of the old engine as infected waste. Life could be worse. Oh yeah, 1997 F-250HD 4x4 5-speed manual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well glad you are back on track to get it on the road. Welcome to the ORG!!!!

BTW there is a good alternative fuels section on here that can set ya right on what went wrong and if you wanted to go WVO again they can make it work right
Old 05-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thank you. Too good a truck to let go of. used motor was about my only budgetary option. Got a warranty too. Wonder if that covers the oil pan homeboy speared with the fork lift loading me? First time I've fit 215 horses in a stock trailer.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yeah Id make sure they fix the oil pan for ya. Its not something you did

haha 215 horses in a stock trailer? must be quite the trailer lol
Old 05-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

When WVO is done wrong, you get horrendous results. I'm just about done disinfecting my truck from the previous owners misguided intentions. Last thing on my list is injectors, my truck sounds like popping pop corn when I get on the throttle.

And come on into the Bio/alt fuel forum we got lots of info in there.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sure enough. Common fuel bowl is a big mistake with dead head fuel rails. First time I changed the fuel filter I opened the drain and nothing came out. 5 minutes later some goo, followed by diesel, finally drained. There are ways to do it, but if I do alternative fuel I'll brew biodiesel and get rid of the glycerol component of WVO. If the guy knew how to maintain the rig this wouldn't have been an issue, but when your oil galley doubles as a deep frier bad things happen. I've had to scrub a frier hood before, pretty sure my oil passages are clogged with that same yellow funk.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:19 AM

Agreed. you really have to know what your doing, and have a truck whos fuel system is in good condition before your run alt fuels. this includes bio. if your bio is mixing with engine oil youll have the same results. need fresh o-rings
Old 01-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Some six months later, I finally got her back on the road! Radiator core support was rusted to pot. Drivers side body mount on the core support completely broken off (always wondered what that loud thump was on big bumps). Anyway, ended up getting a new support through LMC, and welding the old U on from the old core support so the radiator would fit. Swap was pretty straightforward. Found that by removing the bench seat, and going through the hole in the floor for the gearshift with three wobble extensions and a universal joint on the end, those pesky upper transmission-engine bolts weren't bad to remove/install. Habor-Frieght's 2-ton engine stand held up the used motor for months with minimal sagging, and with lots of grease inverting the engine to put the new oil pan on wasn't too dangerous. Engine came out of a 96 van had to swap oilcoolers, waterpumps, left exhaust manifold, dipstick assembles, and engine mounts. Did a EBPV delete with the engine on the stand. Kept my blown engine, nice having a turbo around to rebuild later (core at the yard was only $200 rather have the extra parts). Took some cranking, but she came back to life. Learned a lot, split a few tractors, done some gasser overhauls, but this was my first diesel swap. Runs better than she ever did (106K on the new-used powerplant).
Old 01-06-2012, 05:07 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to OnTheBio
How do they say it again?

Oh yeah..... pics or gtfo!!!!!

I hope you took 100's of pics!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:19 PM

Congrats. Saved one from the junkyard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.