SKY RSK trackbar bracket clearance issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SKY RSK trackbar bracket clearance issue

Recently installed a 3" RSK w/SD springs and used the optional TB drop bracket and drop pitman arm after ready different threads and forums of the different handling characteristics with or without and just about all used the drops. My problem is with the TB drop bracket. It ends up moving the TB bracket about 3/8" forward (the thickness of the drop bracket) which is just enough for it to contact the swaybar over sharp bumps. For now I have removed the swaybar and it handles fine and the ride is great but I would eventually like to put the swaybar back in. Tuffcountry and Superlift have 4" TB drop brackets that do not need the extra drop plate which would get the TB back in line where it was. Does anyone have any experience with either of these brackets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I used the stock pitman arm and bought Sky's adjustable track bar, ditching the track bar drop bracket. The drag link had to be let out a bit to have the wheel straight again. The drag link and track bar are back to their original parallel relationship. I have no issues with bumpsteer or wobble.

Unlike you, I didn't have to contend with a sway bar though.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like the axle isn't centered where it should be. Can you take a picture of your tire in relation to the wheel well?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3 View Post
I used the stock pitman arm and bought Sky's adjustable track bar, ditching the track bar drop bracket. The drag link had to be let out a bit to have the wheel straight again. The drag link and track bar are back to their original parallel relationship. I have no issues with bumpsteer or wobble.

Unlike you, I didn't have to contend with a sway bar though.
I'm no longer contending with the sway now. It's on the garage floor! I don't really notice alot of difference without it (except the clunk is gone)....but I eventually would like to put it back on but so far I don't miss it at all. With the drop bracket the bottom of the TB bracket is only about 1/2" higher than the swaybar. Before it was about 2 to 3" higher. If I remove the TB drop bracket and drop pitman arm there shouldn't be any contact issue but I read alot of threads on different forums before installing and most preferred the ride better with the drops saying the bump steer was aweful. I have not tried it without the drops. Wish I would have given it a test drive before installing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
sounds like the axle isn't centered where it should be. Can you take a picture of your tire in relation to the wheel well?
I measured both sides from a spot on the rear of the frame to the center of the diff before beginning install and after tack welding the front bracket and installing all the bits I measured again before drilling the frame and bolting up. It was spot on (not that it was perfectly centered before - had 200k miles when I purchased). Appears in the photo to be little forward of center of the wheel well. If it was a little forward it would have given me a bit more clearance between the swaybar and TB bracket. Read on some other forums others had this same issue. The biggest issue is you can't just put the TB bracket on the other side of the drop bracket because of the reinforcement webbing on the forward side without adding spacers and this would also put the TB at a slight angle requiring hiem ends. The Tuffcountry and Superlift TB drop brackets replace the oem TB bracket so will not require the drop plate which moves the TB bracket forward.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:33 AM

My 96 had the Sky 3" RSK with the track bar drop bracket and a sway bar and there were no clearance issues. It was tight but nothing was rubbing or hitting.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
My 96 had the Sky 3" RSK with the track bar drop bracket and a sway bar and there were no clearance issues. It was tight but nothing was rubbing or hitting.
I prob'ly only need less than 1/4" and it would clear. I was thinking about maybe grinding a small bevel on the lower edge of the bracket and a little off the swaybar at the contact point. The oem swaybar is solid isn't it? Not hollow pipe?
Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Looks like your axle is back a little looking at the shock in the mount, have you checked to see if the axle is back in the stock location..wheelbase stock?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc. View Post
Looks like your axle is back a little looking at the shock in the mount, have you checked to see if the axle is back in the stock location..wheelbase stock?
Yes. The photo is deceiving. After seeing the photo I went out and looked at it and the shock is actually centered in the mount. I measured from the back of the frame to the center of the axle before disassembling and after tack welding the bracket and installing all the parts and letting down off the jack stands before drilling and bolting. It was spot on. Another thing that's weird is after the TB mount was moved forward @ 3/8" because of the thickness of the drop bracket, the trackbar is actually parallel with the axle which would make you think the axle would actually be slightly forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.